Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX 8.5 and auto call recordings

sky_voice
Level 1
Level 1

Hello friends,

Based on the document, https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12335  I have enabled the auto recording in our small contact center express environment. It works pretty great, however sometime I am observing that, two of the agents are producing a silent recordings.

What I mean by that is, when I listen the recordings in CSD, I can see that, user has taken a call and spoke for x minutes, but when I play it is silent.

My observation is as follows,

If for Agent A - TODAY single recording is silent then, all the recordings are silent for that day. But next day, if single call is audible, it means rest of the calls are audible. so it is kinda day by day behaviour and happens intermittently. sometime it is consitent for the week.

Has anyone observed this behaviour or guide me where to troubleshoot such a behavior.

Thanks a ton guys!

6 Replies 6

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What recording technique are you using?  SPAN, Desktop, or Built in Bridge?

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

Hey Anthony,

Thanks for your quick reply,

The audio is spanned by the phone to the PC Port where CAD is listening for the RTP packets. CAD in turn forwards the audio to the recording service on the CCX server which stores it in RAW format.

I have used below process of enabling auto recording via Cisco Desktop Work flow Administrator

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12335

Ok, so that's Desktop Recording.

You should know this:

Monitoring and Recording Requirements

For information about recording requirements, see Configuring and Troubleshooting VoIP Monitoring.

The space requirements for the Recording and Playback service and the Recording and Statistics

service depend on the size of the contact center as described below.

NOTE: The CAD recording functionality is intended for “on demand” use only, and

not for recording all calls in the contact center.

Source: CAD Installation Guide

I'm trying to think of what would cause an entire day of silent audio files...

It could be configuration related, if you have an inexperienced MACD team closing tickets on the daily, they could be messsing with seemingly unrelated settings.  I.e., check "require MTP' on trunks, causing the wrong codec to be selected.  During the day when the issue is ocurring, go to the phone while on a call and press the "?" button two times to see the code in use.

It could be multiple network adapters on the PC.  I.e., Wired and Wireles at the same time.

It could be a flaky server.  When is the last time you performed a reboot of UCCX?  Yes, they're no longer windows machines since version 8x, but that doesn't mean regular maintenance isn't needed.  I personally would reboot once a quarter.  I can't tell you how many times issues have been resolved by "bouncing" the a service.

Recording space on the server is full?  The CAD automatic recording feature is handy, I'll admit, but this is not how the system was designed to record agents.

The Agent is being moved to a monitoring server other than default?  This is configuration item within CDA.  On a day when its broken, check which monitoring server they are assigned to?  Is this HA?  If not, then disregard this point, as it only pertains to HA.

That's all I have off the top of my head.

Anthony Holloway

Thanks for bringing great visibility to this issue -

my comments on your views -

It could be configuration related, if you have an inexperienced MACD team closing tickets on the daily, they could be messsing with seemingly unrelated settings.  I.e., check "require MTP' on trunks, causing the wrong codec to be selected.  During the day when the issue is ocurring, go to the phone while on a call and press the "?" button two times to see the code in use.

***** we have just five agents and one supervisor team. so no changes usually made on this five agents by MACD team,

Out of five agents only two agents are following this day based intermittent behavior.

It could be multiple network adapters on the PC.  I.e., Wired and Wireles at the same time.

**** This could be a possibility, but these guys are using workstation with single NIC

It could be a flaky server.  When is the last time you performed a reboot of UCCX?  Yes, they're no longer windows machines since version 8x, but that doesn't mean regular maintenance isn't needed.  I personally would reboot once a quarter.  I can't tell you how many times issues have been resolved by "bouncing" the a service.

***** You bet, I haven't rebooted the server recently, but if out of five agent only one or two is producing slient recordings and other three are very consistent..

but restarting a server is important.

Recording space on the server is full?  The CAD automatic recording feature is handy, I'll admit, but this is not how the system was designed to record agents.

**** Considering a volume of 2.6 GB and this 5 users, I think, there is enough space..

The Agent is being moved to a monitoring server other than default?  This is configuration item within CDA.  On a day when its broken, check which monitoring server they are assigned to?  Is this HA?  If not, then disregard this point, as it only pertains to HA.

***** Yes it is HA environment two MCS7835's simple cluster integrated with CUCM 8.6

I hope it clears the scenario more clear... 

Great thoughts, Anthony - much appreciated.

Sorry, nothing above resolved the issue for you.  I'm totally just throwing out ideas here.  I should probably be rereading the VoIP Monitoring and Recording Troubleshooting Document again, as it's been a while since I've troubleshot this feature.

Moving the focus from the intermittentcy to the failure, have you validated the codec in use during the failure?  Or that packets are being received from the phone by CAD?

I did just have a lengthy post about troubleshooting an environment where most of the Agents worked, but one or two failed.  I haven't heard back if the problem was sorted, but I would like to link you to that post for two reasons:

1. You may find your solution hidden in the text of the post somewhere.  (hopefully!)

2. You can follow this thread, as this person may just reply back with what fixed their specific issue.

Here is the post in question: https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3983097

Anthony Holloway

Thanks Anthony.  The post you've shared includes detailed and great efforts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: