cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX - Detecting a caller's device type.

FLeland
Level 1
Level 1

We're adding a shift-to-chat feature to our main call flow script, but we don't want to redirect calls from landlines.

We can pass landline calls to shift-to-chat without any issues, but their system will drop the call if it's not from a cell phone.

So how can we detect landline calls in our script?

Thanks,

Fred

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will need to query an external service that is capable of answering that question. If I may suggest, dropping the call outright if you guess wrong is a crappy programming choice on your provider’s part. The most modern approach is a RESTful API Call, for which CCX is a handy step in modern versions.

There are multiple services for querying whether a number is mobile or not (eg https://www.twilio.com/lookup); however, I’m not sure that will be good enough if the risk of an error is a dropped call. For example, what if the user has a basic cellphone without a smartphone OS? That would be flagged as mobile.

Thanks for the feedback Jonathan.  The shift-to-chat service is more than happy to provide call type detection as an added paid service.  The sys admin I'm working with just wanted to see if there was a way for us to pull that out of the caller info before recommending that our end users add the additional service.