Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX v8: Replacing default system prompts

lohjintiam
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

I have a deployment where the customer wants to customized every system prompts that is available in UCCX. Reason being they want to sync the voice for both system and custom prompts. This will be required for several languages in the system.

a) can this be done?

b) where can i find those system prompts and replace them?

Thanks!

-JT-

7 Replies 7

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, it can be done. You don't replace them really, you override them with higher precedence prompts.

Jonathan Schulenberg put together a nice description and document of where everything's at for the system prompts, at least for en_US. Other languages might differ slightly but will be almost identical. From this you can see what exists and what paths and filenames to use.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13933

From there, if memory serves, you use UCCX's regular prompt search and fallback algorithm to override. This is from memory, so test this out carefully for yourself. I'm not sure where to track down documentation on how this works.

Let's say you're looking to play the ordinal "first" in US English. You play that as "#[1]". That will try to play the file at "[prefix]/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav". The language and user/system prompt magic comes from that prefix. For US English, it will flow one of two ways:

1. Check at User Prompts/en_US/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav
  2. Check at User Prompts/en/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav
  3. Check at User Prompts/default/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav
  4. Check at System Prompts/en_US/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav (this succeeds with US English installed, search would stop)
  5. Check at System Prompts/en/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav
  6. Check at System Prompts/default/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav

Or it might do the following, can't recall for sure:

1. Check at User Prompts/en_US/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav
  2. Check at System Prompts/en_US/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav  (this succeeds with US English installed, search would stop)
  3. Check at User Prompts/en/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav
  4. Check at System Prompts/en/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav
  5. Check at User Prompts/default/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav
  6. Check at System Prompts/default/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav

Either way, if you take your new voice talent's recording of the word "first" and drop it in User Prompts/en_US/gen/ordinals/1ord.wav, it ought to supersede the system prompt and be played instead in all places where that US English system prompt would ordinarily be used.

I'm pretty sure you can also create another level custom sub-languages, if you have a need for more than one voice talent in any given language. In the Prompt Repository, you can create en_US_JACK and en_US_JILL and populate those and I believe it adds a layer to the prompt search above, en_US_JACK to en_US to en to default. That way your voice talent Jack can record a subset of things you need and you have the rest of en_US to fall back on if something's missing. Again, haven't done this in some time so I may be incorrect and please test carefully.

Message was edited by: jasyoung (fixed second prompt list text)

Great post guys!

I did the following

a) From Application->Prompt Management, created the folder structure of /gen/ordinals/ in en_US

b) Upload the new prompts (1ord.wav, 2ord.wav, 3ord.wav)

c) Tested it but it was still playing the default system prompts

d) Repeated process for en & default but the results were the same

e) Restarted CCX Engine but the result were the same

Am i missing out something?

Thanks!

-JT-

lohjintiam wrote:

Great post guys!

I did the following

a) From Application->Prompt Management, created the folder structure of /gen/ordinals/ in en_US

b) Upload the new prompts (1ord.wav, 2ord.wav, 3ord.wav)

c) Tested it but it was still playing the default system prompts

d) Repeated process for en & default but the results were the same

e) Restarted CCX Engine but the result were the same

Am i missing out something?

No, that sounds about like what I remember. I must not be remembering correctly. I pulled up some docs and found the prompt search order for User prompts (en_US to en to default) and the same for System, but I can't find where/if a normal P[prompt] search might look for System prompts. I've made something like this work before, but I don't remember exactly how and I haven't done it on UCCX8. I'll investigate more when I have some time.

In a pinch, you could boot UCCX from a recovery disc and directly trade out the system prompts on disk. I don't believe those are repository-synced like User prompts, so trading them out on disk (on both servers if you have HA) should be fine. This is, of course, unsupported.

Got the following response from PDI

1.First need to enable the system parameter for custom prompt.
2.Required the root access to see the system prompt folder structure.
3.Based on that need to creat same folder through the GUI via prompt management.
4.Now you can place the own recored prompt here.
5.For this required Root access,this is done through the TAC.

Okay, so that's the bit I was missing in my instructions above. Isn't it always Step 1 where things get screwed up?

Once you go into Appadmin, System Parameters and set "User Prompts override System Prompts" to Enabled, what I described above should be effective. And since you've already got some test prompts uploaded, they should start working.

Regarding root access to the system, you shouldn't actually need that. The prompt hierarchy they're telling you to examine is the same one that Jonathan Schulenberg posted, linked above. Of course if you want to get in and look around, feel free, it's your system. If you generate a 30-day remote support account account and passphrase and give that information to TAC, they can give you the matching password. Sometimes TAC is slow or hesitant to do that, depends on who you get when you open the case. If they aren't helping you, just send me a private message with the remote account details. I have my own tool to convert the passphrases into passwords and I can get you in.

Hi,

I found an issue regarding deleting / renaming the gen/number folder. After deleting the number folder, the system is unable to find prompts in that folder even though that folder has been recreated

a) previously i was having en_us/gen/number folder with all the relevant wav files

b) i deleted the number folder to perform some troubleshooting

c) after recreating the number folder and uploading the relevant wav files, the script is unable to use those file and instead went to the default system generated prompts to play the numbers

Have you come across this issue?

Thanks!

-JT-

Hi jasyoung,

This method works if and only if the system prompt (eg. SP[SNU\still_there.wav]) is included in the script.

But this is not working for the default, for example, there is a "Get Digit String" step, when timeout, it is still playing the default system prompt SP[SNU\still_there.wav]. Any idea?

Thanks,

HowYee

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: