cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to record prompt in UCCX

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

We're running UCCX 10.5. In a script, we're trying to use the recording step to record a prompt. When you call in and run the script, it all appears to work. But once you look at the recorded prompt, it shows up as being 0.0.6KB. And when you play it back, there's nothing. We've done a Wireshark, and can see the RTP stream going to UCCX fine.

How can we troubleshoot this? Google hasn't been much help so far.

Thanks,

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.
22 Replies 22

So far, the PMs are ignoring my SE...

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Has it ever been determined why UCCX doesn't support a-law.

Hello, Gordon.
Could you, please, share with info if you managed to find the answer or tricks to re-configure A-law support ?
I have faced the problem with UCCX 11.6.2 - steps are working but empty wav file is recorded.

In our cluster U-Law was completely disabled in CUCM Service Parameters, because in our network A-Law is the standard. But we needed that uccx recording step.

So, we find workaround: we enabled u-law, but make u-law to be used only in calls between UCCX devices and all other devices. Steps to do:

1)create Audio Codec Preference List 'My_A-law_Preferred', with A-law codecs on top and U-Law codecs on bottom.

2)create Audio Codec Preference List 'My_U-law_Preferred', with U-law codecs on top and A-Law codecs on bottom.

3)create Region 'U-LAW_REG'. Set in Audio Codec Preference List 'My_U-law_Preferred' with all other Regions.

4)create Device Pool 'U-LAW_DP', set region 'U-LAW_REG'.

5)In other Regions set 'My_A-law_Preferred' between all other Regions except U-LAW_REG.

6)Change Device Pool for all UCCX Routing Points and CTI ports to 'U-LAW_DP'.

7)Enable U-Law in CUCM Service Parameters.

As a result you will have A-Law codec used everywhere except in UCCX connections.

HTH.

Hi,

I also have this same issue, I tried to create the same device pool and region setting you advised. But since the call is coming from PSTN via Cube and the cube is configured for alaw first. It does not seem to want to convert to ulaw when making an inbound call from the PSTN.

Regards,

Paul

If your SIP provider does not support ulaw, then CUBE cannot convert alaw to ulaw, unless CUBE has a transcoder available to itself. CUBE can convert some things, but codecs is not one of them. It needs a PVDM/XCODE to do that.

Hi Anthony,
Thanks for your reply. As I am in Australia the codec used is alaw. A few years ago I previously had the cube configured using ulaw but ran into a few issues with calls and changed it to alaw which fixed those issues. There are transcoders available on the cube registered to the cucm, but the call does not invoke the transcoder and call reaches the uccx as alaw.
I have seen another work around to set inbound dial peer from the isp as alaw and then dial peer to cucm as ulaw, this would force a transcoder to be called for all calls but at the cost of pvdm resources. I have many uccx triggers so I can't setup a specific dial peer only.
Regards,
Paul
This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the person(s) or company named and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. Unauthorised disclosure, copying or use of this information may be unlawful and is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and notify the sender.

The problem I think you're facing is this: CUCM does not know the codec on the far side of the CUBE, only the near side, and if the near side was trying to use ulaw to UCCX, which also wants to use ulaw, then CUCM would never introduce a transcoder, because these codecs match.

If CUBE is to transcode one leg to another, then CUBE needs something called a Local Transcoding Interface (LTI). This is effectively registering the Transcoder on CUBE..to CUBE..skipping CUCM all together. You will not see this Transcoder in CUCM.

Alternatively, you can remove the ulaw from the CUCM facing dial-peer on CUBE, and let alaw be the only codec CUBE can use, and when CUCM notices the mismatch between the CUBE and UCCX, CUCM will introduce a CUCM registered transcoder for only UCCX calls.