Helpful
Replies

Upgrade CUCCX 8.5.1 to 11

John Faltys
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to confirm the most efficient upgrade path for CCX 8.5.1

Customer has

CUCCX 8.5.1.11004-25 on VM and would like to upgrade to 11 while moving to new hardware (be7k).

Is the best approach to

A. Install 8.5.1 version on the new host using DRF to backup old and restore to new

or

B. Export from VM and Import to new VM environment - any downside?

3. Upgrade to 11 in place

3a. Expand VM environment to version 11 requirements

3b. Upgrade to 11

3c. Switch to new partition

Thank you

13 Replies 13

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

John,

Your approach is good except that avoid doing

B. Export from VM and Import to new VM environment - any downside?

from a support perspective since it is not a supported method to do

So, I will go something like this:

1) Take the DRS backup of your existing UCCX cluster running on bare metal

2) Build the same version of UCCX (8.5.1.11004-25) on the BE7K in lab within an isolated environment keeping the same IP Address, HostName, Default Gateway, Security password etc as in the production environment

3) Perform the restore using the DRS backup taken in step 1

4) Check the server functionality to make sure everything had been restored properly i.e., scripts, prompts, CTI route points/ports etc. Do not forget to check Cisco Desktop Administrator >> Personnel >> Agents since lot many times during the P2V migration process, CDA data is not backed up and customers proceed with the upgrade to the final version i.e., 11.x in your case and then find this is the issue. Its too late by then hence do not forget to do this

Ideally, at this point I will get a test agent to login and test the calls to him/her to ensure complete system functionality by calling in one of the main numbers/ CTI route point internally

5) Proceed with system upgrade to UCCX 11 and do the Switch Version activity

6) Change the VM requirments such as vRAM, vNIC, vCPU etc except hard drive (since it requires a rebuilt of machine along with DRS backup/restore operation) to match what a 11.x machine should have as per the below docwiki:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Virtualization_for_Unified_CCX#Version_11.0.28x.29

7) In case, if the hard drive does not match as per the 11.x requirement, then take the DRS backup of your 11.x UCCX, built a new VM using the OVA template and then perform the restore

8) Finally choose a day for the cutover, put this server in production and take the one running 8.5.1.11004-25 down

In case if you have a HA setup and you have doubts on how to do the Restore operation, refer to below link:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Virtualization_for_Unified_CCX#Migrating_and_upgrading_Unified_CCX_from_physical_to_virtual_server

Since you cannot directly upgrade from UCCX 8.5.1.11004-25 to 11.x hence you will first need to upgrade to 9.0(2) SU3. After upgrading to 9.0(2) SU3, you can then upgrade to 11.0.1.10000-75. Find the complete steps below:

# Download UCCX 11.0.1.10000-75 upgrade image using the PUT tool or contact your Accounts Manager since UCCX 11.0 is a major release and a “.O” release on the 11.x train. These images will not be posted on CCO but should be ordered via the PUT tool.

# Download ciscouccx.refresh_upgrade_v1.11.cop.sgn

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=286287033&flowid=76362&softwareid=280840578&release=11.0%281%29&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

# Create a new folder on desktop name it as UCCX and copy the UCCX 11.0.1.10000-75 upgrade and ciscouccx.refresh_upgrade_v1.11.cop.sgn file into this folder

# Launch the “Free FTPD Tool”

# Click on Users -> Add -> Enter any login name for example Admin -> Click on Authorization drop down and select “Password stores as SHA1 hash” -> enter any password for example cisco -> Confirm the password -> Click on home directory box and select the UCCX folder from the desktop ( in which UCCX 11.0.1.10000-75 upgrade and ciscouccx.refresh_upgrade_v1.11.cop.sgn files are stored ) -> uncheck FTP and Check SFTP and click on apply.

# On Free FTPD Settings window click on SFTP -> Click on “Listen Address” and enter the IP Address of your PC -> Port = 22 -> Max. no. of connections = 0 ,  Idle timeout = 0 ->  SFTP root directory and select the UCCX folder created on desktop ( in which UCCX 11.0.1.10000-75 upgrade and ciscouccx.refresh_upgrade_v1.11.cop.sgn files are stored ). -> Click on Apply & Save -> Click on Start -> Server status should be running.

# Go to Command line interface of the UCCX primary server.

# Run the following command
utils system upgrade initiate

# Enter following information –

Please select an option: 1 ( Remote File system ) Directory:\
Server: IP Address of PC
User Name: User name created on Free FTPD for example Admin
Password: Created on Free FTPD for example cisco
Protocol: 1 ( for SFTP )

# Choose the ciscouccx.refresh_upgrade_v1.11.cop.sgn and install the same:

# Once the refresh upgrade cop file had been installed on the primary server, please proceed with installing it on the secondary server as well in case of HA. Please perform the complete cluster reboot using the “utils system restart” command after applying the refresh upgrade cop file, first the primary UCCX and once it comes up, proceed with the restart of secondary UCCX server

# After the refresh upgrade cop file had been installed on both the servers, please proceed with installing the upgrade file on both the servers. Same procedure that you followed to install refresh upgrade cop file, first on primary UCCX server once that is done, then proceed doing the same on secondary UCCX server

Please note, by default refresh upgrade cop file will go in Active partition whereas the 11.0.1.10000-75 upgrade file will go in inactive partition

## Run the below commands to capture the active and inactive partition details of the system:
show version active
show version ianctive

# Please proceed with the switch version using the below command, first on primary and once the server comes up successfully, proceed with doing the same on secondary server utils system switch-version

Once the server had been upgraded successfully, please run the Client Configuration Tool once from any PC in the network where UCCX server resides so that whenever the agent or supervisors will launch their software for the first time post upgrade, they will be prompted to download and install the latest version of CAD or CSD.

Note: Please perform all the above mentioned steps during a maintenance window as this is a Refresh Upgrade and hence server will be rebooted multiple times during the upgrade process. Also, it is highly recommended that you perform all the above steps using the UCCX server CLI only and not through the OS Administration.

For your reference, I am also providing you with the links for UCCX Compatibility Matrix and Upgrade Guide below:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_CCX_Software_Compatibility_Matrix_for_11.0%28x%29_and_Service_Releases

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_11_0/install/guide/UCCX_BK_UD895861_00_uccx-install-upgrade-guide-11.pdf

Regards

Deepak

- Rate Helpful Posts -

Thank you for so much detail.

We will be upgrading CUCM 8.5.1 to 11.x first.

Will CUCCX 8.5.1 work with CUCM 11 ok or are there specifics things to look out for during that interim time prior to getting CCX up to date?

No, it will not work UCCX 8.5 does not support CUCM 11. Check below Compatibility Matrix for the supported CM version:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_CCX_Software_Compatibility_Matrix_for_8.5%281%29_SU4

You can keep performing the upgrade all the way from UCCX 8.5.1.11004-25 to 11.x as it will be done from CLI or OS Admin and CM integration check is not required during that time. The only problem I see is at step 4 as you will not be able to login into UCCX administration and perform the required testing without the proper integration with CUCM

"Check the server functionality to make sure everything had been restored properly i.e., scripts, prompts, CTI route points/ports etc. Do not forget to check Cisco Desktop Administrator >> Personnel >> Agents since lot many times during the P2V migration process, CDA data is not backed up and customers proceed with the upgrade to the final version i.e., 11.x in your case and then find this is the issue. Its too late by then hence do not forget to do this"

If you are ok skipping this particular step, then you will not face any issues even if you upgrade the CM to 11.x leaving UCCX on 8.5.1.11004-25 and keep performing the CCX upgrade at your ease and convenience. If not, then you will need to build a supported CM version to support integration with UCCX 8.5.1.11004-25 in lab as well and then perfrom the required testing as mentioned in Step 4.

Regards

Deepak

- Remember to Rate Helpful Posts -

Thank you again. So based on the compatibility and the fact that UCCX this may be the proper order.

1. Upgrade CUCM from 8.5.1 to 11.x in tandem with Unity 8.0.3. 

2. Test 11x, Unity to ensure all is working.

3. Shuttle messages and then switch to CM 11x.  

4. CCX 8.5.1 should still be working ok?

5. Perform CCX upgrade/migration from 8.5.1 to 11.x.

UCCX at the point when CM will be Switched Version to 11.x will not work logically as the integration will break but as I mentioned earlier this will not restrict you to upgrade the UCCX to version 11.

Note : Since you will not be doing any new configuration on UCCX i.e pulling new agents, creating new Route points/Ports during the time when CM will be running on version 11. Any old configuration related to agent login calls etc may or may not work (basis on my experience while t/s cases)since it will not always require a check to be done on UCCX for which AXL integration is required to be in good state with CM

However, you should still try to upgrade the UCCX to version 11 as soon as after CM had been upgraded to v 11.

Regards

Deepak

- Rate Helpful Posts -

Then we can

1. Migrate CUCM to 11 

2. Migrate Unity to 11

3. Migrate CCX to 11

4.  Test everything on 11

5. Shuttle messages 

6. Is there a way to shuttle changes on CCX/

7. Then go live with all.

This looks perfect to me just except that I am not able to understand below two points:

5. Shuttle messages 

6. Is there a way to shuttle changes on CCX/

Can you explain little more on this in detail

Regards

Deepak

Deepak,

With Cisco Unity, there will be voicemail collecting on the old version during testing the 11 version.  
Just prior to going live, there is a shuttle utility that will copy the delta voicemails from the old version to the new version.

I am not that familiar with CCX so not sure what data that might need to be shuttled just prior to going live.

There is nothing as such you need to do for UCCX before going live. Simply test the agent login, call into your main numbers, listen to prompts observe their voice quality etc that's it

Nothing extra you need to do on UCCX whatsoever.

Regards

Deepak

I have installed 8.5.1(su4) which is the same version as source.

Since restoring DRS has to use same host name and IP address, I need to be disconnected from the network so as not to disturb the current live version.

Can I put the DRS on the new unconnected 8.5.1 vm and restore from that local DRS file?

Thanks

John,

While the DRS restore will happen, system will check if the IP Address, Hostname etc are the same or not that were there when the backup was taken. In your case, you must have installed UCCX on the new VM using those same creds, is that not the case. If not then you will need to install the UCCX first with exactly same creds as the original source and only then DRS restore will work.

Secondly if yu installed the UCCX with same creds in the lab, isolated network wherever and if you are able to open the web page, OS admin etc then there should not be a problem even doing the DRS restore. There is nothing extra system is looking during that except from the fact that it will match those creds against what you have used during the installation.

In nutshell there are two things which are important for DRS restore to work:

1) You should have installed the new UCCX with same creds as the live system is

2) The newly created UCCX server should be accessible

Regards

Deepak

Alfredo Naranjo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

Is there a PCD procedure to migrate UCCX 8.5 to 11.x

Thanks in advanced

Alffredo.

If this helps, do not forget, rate!!

PCD does not support UCCX migration from 8.5 to 11.x.  Refer below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/pcdadmin/11_0_1/CUCM_BK_P00E3B55_00_pcd-admin-guide-115/CUCM_BK_P00E3B55_00_pcd-admin-guide-115_chapter_011.html#CUCM_RF_SEB1E0AA_00

Regards

Deepak