cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why UCCE is not moved to Linux ?

eslam rizk
Level 4
Level 4

This Days i am studying UCCE as I Moved to New Company which is Contact Center Provider.

and i was surprised when i knew that UCCE as Product is Based on Windows 
but after some time thinking about that , i remembered that CUCM and UCCX was Based on windows in the Past , but now Cisco Moved it to be on top on Linux OS , and few Years ago They also Announce about Finesse and Now VVB .
So , All Components now or Almost is Linux Based except CVP and UCCE  
which Make Cisco Engineers focus more on the Application itself . 

instead of Diving with the Problems related to the OS itself specially when this OS is Windows 
I Wanna Know the Reasons that Prevent Cisco from Moving this Last Two Components to Linux 

If its Something Related to the Application itself or What ?

I Searched about any Topic that may talk about this Point , but unfortunately, Couldn't find anything related .
Thanks 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I was guessing it will take long time or never for ICM to be moved to Appliance based as it is so dependent on MSFT AD. CVP theoretically should be doable without much re-architecture and that might be on the horizon, but I would imagine as with everything else it would come down to benefits vs. cost. You cannot compare the CUCM, CCX to UCCE as those are separate BUs within Cisco.

AFAIK moving to Applicate at this point is not high on the list of roadmap, so you have to live with what you have :-)

View solution in original post

Omar Deen
Spotlight
Spotlight

CVP will likely make it over to a VOS application, but the core components of UCCE will likely stay on Windows for a variety of reasons. It's not a big deal really, especially with how easy Cisco has made it for Windows updates - I understand the license cost, but that's the cost of doing business. I know based on my customer base... the move to Informix would be a big issue as it's really convenient to directly query the database from within SQL Server. I don't know if you've ever tried doing a like-for-like query from SQL to Informix, but it sucks. A move to Informix would definitely cause issues from a support perspective and not to mention reporting. Most IT people know even the basic SQL syntax and learning it to the point to create custom reports isn't difficult if you put a little bit of time and effort into it - especially with the endless amount of KBs and message forums out there to help. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I was guessing it will take long time or never for ICM to be moved to Appliance based as it is so dependent on MSFT AD. CVP theoretically should be doable without much re-architecture and that might be on the horizon, but I would imagine as with everything else it would come down to benefits vs. cost. You cannot compare the CUCM, CCX to UCCE as those are separate BUs within Cisco.

AFAIK moving to Applicate at this point is not high on the list of roadmap, so you have to live with what you have :-)

Omar Deen
Spotlight
Spotlight

CVP will likely make it over to a VOS application, but the core components of UCCE will likely stay on Windows for a variety of reasons. It's not a big deal really, especially with how easy Cisco has made it for Windows updates - I understand the license cost, but that's the cost of doing business. I know based on my customer base... the move to Informix would be a big issue as it's really convenient to directly query the database from within SQL Server. I don't know if you've ever tried doing a like-for-like query from SQL to Informix, but it sucks. A move to Informix would definitely cause issues from a support perspective and not to mention reporting. Most IT people know even the basic SQL syntax and learning it to the point to create custom reports isn't difficult if you put a little bit of time and effort into it - especially with the endless amount of KBs and message forums out there to help. 

I am with omar on this one, this is a call center not a PBX, call centers do integrations and CRM's , along with workforce management and other applications, the systems has been around for a long time and as omar said it is sucks to move from SQL to informix, and you would need all the easiest ways for your call center setup to be up to expectations, SQL DB is very easy to do any customization (Dashboard, WFM, Recording, etc...)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: