cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Win7 32bit and CAD v8.0.2 issues

JASON WELCH
Level 1
Level 1

We are running a UCCX v8.0.2SU3 cluster with HA.  The majority of our callcenter desktops are running WinXP but we are in the process of migrating to Win7 32bit for all of our call center agents.  All of our call center agents are part of a workflow group that has a macro function that selects an open application (Oracle) and relays about 6 keystrokes to the application, including inserting the enterprise data ANI into a field.  We've been running this macro on XP for over a year with no issues, but it was never tested on Win7 because we were on a UCCX 7.0.2 cluster and Win7 wasn't supported.  We upgraded to UCCX v8.0.2SU3 at the end of August and began testing some of those agents on Win7 PCs.  Currently we have Win7 installed on 7 agents and all of them are exhibiting some very strange behavior, specifically when added to a workflow group that has a macro function.  When an agent answers a call the macro function runs with no issues, no errors and does what it has always done, but we're seeing that those Win7 agents CAD will 'lock up' in whatever agent state they were in when the macro ran; reserved or talking specifically.  When this happens the agent cannot interact with the CAD (go not ready, go wrap, go work, logout, etc) because the CAD thinks they are in either the reserved or talking states.  The CSD will also display that the agent is 'locked' in that state too, but the real-time reporting on the cluster shows the 'correct' state of the agent and doesn't appear to be locked up.  The only way to get the CAD back to normal is to 'end task' the agent.exe and then have the agent re-launch the CAD.

We have tried testing with additional workflow groups that contain very simple macros as well, thinking that maybe this was an issue with the 'complexity' of our macro.  The macro we are testing now has 5 lines: select the Notepad application and type TEST.  This macro causes the CAD to lockup just as our complex macros do.

We have tried adding a delay to the beginning of the macro before it selects the application, but that didn't help.  We have re-installed the CAD as domain and local administrators, but that didn't help.  We have tried running the CAD as 'administrator' (this actually causes the CAD to error out when running the macro so it won't even run any macro).  We have tried running the CAD in XPsp3 compatibility mode, but that didn't help.  We've tried running building a Win7 box from scratch and not adding it to the domain (to rule out any GPOs) but that didn't help.  We have tried turning off any anti-virus and firewalls on the PC, but that didn't help. 

The CAD debugs don't report any issues, infact the logs/debugs show that the agent is progressing through the normal states and doesn't appear to notice the CAD is locked up.

I opened a case with TAC and I was given the generic 'TAC doesn't support scripting or macros please use the support community and have a nice day' response.  I'm to the point now I can't legitimately support our call center upgrading to Win7 because the CAD isn't functional.

Any help any of you can provide is greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your time.

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CAD has had a ton of bugs in the 8.0 and 8.5 releases. Either you've found a new one or are running into an existing one. I can't find anything in the bug toolkit but that doesn't mean it isn't already known; many aren't public.

This TAC engineer is wrong in this case. They may not support creating or modifying macros; however, they do support the product functionality. You have clearly taken every effort here to rule out something unique to your configuration or environment. You need to push back at TAC at this point. Be clear that you have tested with a generic Windows build and even a very basic macro with notepad. If they still wont help ask for their manager. Part of this not-supporting-scripts game is knowing when to hold your ground. This is one of those cases.

charlesgv
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jason,

Were you able to find a solution for your issue?

We also have the 8.0(2) with the SU4 now. I have been trying something similar and have been facing the same unresponsiveness from the CAD software. I have created a macro that launches at the Startup event and simply tries to change the agent state from the Not Ready state to the Ready state. I had to put in a delay in here so that the CAD could first be initialized into the Not Ready state before the macro kicks in to change the state to the Ready state. Now after putting in the delay, the CAD remains in the Logout state and does not progress to the Not Ready state whereby the macro will finally timeout!

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner to you, but in short, no we never found a resolution.  We ended up removing the macro function to pre-pop the ANI.   I worked with Cisco for a very long time on this and their final  response was it was Win7 that was causing the issue.  We went so far as  testing a vanilla Win7 machine with no other apps installed other than CAD and we dumbed down the macro  to just print 'test' in a notepad window when a call arrived; it still  locked up the agent.  I'm sorry I can't be more help, please let me know  if you ever ran across a solution to this as we would eventually like  to impliment macros.

Paul McGurn
Level 6
Level 6

I can't add value, but I can confirm other issues with CAD workflows on Win7 (we're on x64 though).  We use a workflow step to direct the embedded browser to a URL when the call ringing event happens.  This seems to work, but after time, will simply stop firing.  TAC says it's "custom workflow" which they equate to "development" which in turn means "go talk to a partner".  I think we can all agree that if you design a piece of functionality to be customizable/flexible, that doesn't give you the right to carte blanche not suport it just because your customers are using it within designed spec.  It's basically like them saying "this feature is perfect, can't have bugs, and if you have issues, it's something you did wrong".

Sorry, ranting, but I'm glad I'm not the only UCCX-er out there experiencing CAD workflow woes on Win7.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: