cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows Updates on UCCE and CVP environments.

Hi,
Because a client request I need to install the latest Windows patches(Automatic Windows Updates), but I need to know if there are a reference about the possible risk of the installation of the patches on UCCE and CVP servers, I mean if exist the possibility of a failure after this installation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe Gilbert
Level 1
Level 1

I haven't run into issues with Windows patches over the past year on Windows 2008 R2. I always reboot the servers after installation to verify the services will start normally.

I have had issues with local security policy changes that affect secure communications between servers.

View solution in original post

Cisco used to publish approved Microsoft patches but now they don't.

most of the time applying latest patch dont cause any glitches in solution, but i know we had an issue once related to TCP offloading/chimney on UCCE servers.

after patching the setting got reset and set to default, so request to keep an eye on the same.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Joe Gilbert
Level 1
Level 1

I haven't run into issues with Windows patches over the past year on Windows 2008 R2. I always reboot the servers after installation to verify the services will start normally.

I have had issues with local security policy changes that affect secure communications between servers.

Thanks for your response,
Do you know something about the patches published this week?
Actually, I just installed those patches (published last February 10) on a Rogger and apparently we don't have issues with that but I need to know if exist some reference provided by Cisco.

regards

Cisco used to publish approved Microsoft patches but now they don't.

most of the time applying latest patch dont cause any glitches in solution, but i know we had an issue once related to TCP offloading/chimney on UCCE servers.

after patching the setting got reset and set to default, so request to keep an eye on the same.

Thanks for the response,

Next week I will patch those servers :S, After that I will review   TCP settings  and I'll comment the details for future reference.

Regards.

I just installed those patches and my system and after restart still working correctly.
I hope this  be useful.

(Windows Server  2008 R2 STD  SP1 -X64)

KB2993958
KB3003743
KB3013455
KB890830
KB2978120
KB3021952
KB3010788
KB2992611
KB3004375
KB3008627
KB3006625
KB2991963
KB3011780
KB3004394
KB3006137
KB3023562
KB3005788
KB3022777
KB2978125
KB3029944
KB3006226
KB3020338
KB3014406
KB3014029
KB3004361
KB3005607
KB3031432
KB3013410
KB3021674
KB3000483

Thanks for sharing.  

Anyone install Windows patches recently?? My customer is requesting me to install it, too.  Any special points to pay attention when installing Windows patches?  Any suggestion to minimize the risk?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Below is the Pre check list link for UCS and UCCE level . If you have completed all the UCCE and UCS Pre check list no need to do any additional Microsoft patch update .

As per cisco recommendation we need to disable windows auto update disabled  service in services .msc

If have are hitting any bug in future or current setup cisco  will give ES or MR patch for resolution .

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-manager/116092-vmware-deploy-cklst-ucce-00.html#anc5

Disable NetDMA

This procedure describes how to disable NetDMA:

1. Locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters registry subkey.
  2. Double-click the EnableTCPA registry entry.

Note: If this registry entry does not exist, right-click Parameters, point to New, click DWORD Value, enter EnableTCPA, and press Enter.

1. Enter 0 in the Value data box, and click OK.
  2. Restart the server for the changes to take effect.

Also, please confirm using the compatibility tool for UCS if all drivers are compatible with your version of ESXi, which is as you mentioned 5.5: http://www.cisco.com/web/techdoc/ucs/interoperability/matrix/matrix.html  

Ramamoorthy

Regards,
Ram.S

Hi We had to install the latest patches (All the available patches since May 5  2014  to  May 14 2015 )until May 14 and everything  works fine after the installation and reboot of  the servers.

Hope this help someone .