cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is a container?

Schumann523
Level 1
Level 1

What is a container? I have researched this topic, and I have come across many definitions that I have found confusing.
Looking at it from the point of view of a PC, isn't a container essentially just an application?
Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Container - Containers are a form of operating system virtualization, its can be installed on the switch or any device which can support in the Cisco devices.

Cisco Uses Container builds part of many solutions :

https://blogs.cisco.com/cloud/ciscocontainerplatform

Not sure what context you looking for here. 

If you looking at PC, it is another Virtual device, it can be Docker or VM or any other small form of software.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From Docker's definition, a Docker container image is a lightweight, standalone, executable package of software that includes everything needed to run an application: code, runtime, system tools, system libraries and settings.

While 'application' description is somewhat correct, it doesn't quit convey 'code, runtime, system tools, system libraries and settings.'

When you look at containers that exist for an entire Linux distribution like Ubuntu, I think you get the bigger picture.

It is true that containers are more like an application, in that they typically won't have all the overhead that an entire guestVM would.

Hope that helps.

Kirk...

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is a cute and funny way to explain what is a container and how kubernetes works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ht22ReBjno

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: