Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Answer Questions

12-10-2001
Cancel Post

• CQ & CBWFQ - ( 12-07-2001 )
  • Other Network Architecture Subjects
  • Hello,I am reading the doc about congestion management and wondering if you experts can point me out what's the difference between CQ and CBWFQ. They both use class based queues. There are some differences, e.g, the byte coune is used in CQ while bw in CBWFQ, there are 16 queues in CQ while 64 in CBWFQ. But for me, the CBWFQ is not a fair queueing any more because an exact amount of BW can be allocated to a class, which is not fair to other classes.Thanks for your comments,-CZ
    View more
12-07-2001
Cancel Post

• Announcing the availability of IDSM 3.0(2) S10 software update for the Intr - ( 12-07-2001 )
  • Other Security Subjects
  • Announcing the availability of IDSM 3.0(2) S10 software update for the Intrusion Detection System Module-----------------------------------------------------SIGNATURE UPDATE INSTALL/UNINSTALL INSTRUCTIONSYou must upgrade the IDSM to at least version 3.0(2)S4 before you can apply this S10 update. Updates to IDSM software are available at the following CCO site:http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ids30-cat6000-updateTo upgrade from version 2.5 to version 3.0(2) refer to the "Upgradingthe IDSM from Version 2.5 to Version 3.0(2)S6" section in the"Release Notes for the Catalyst 6000 Family Intrusion Detection System Module Software Release 3.0(2)S6" found at the following website: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/idsm/idsm_2/13726_02.htm#xtocid113676For instructions on installing or uninstalling this signature updatesee the Catalyst 6000 Family Intrusion Detection System Module Installation and Configuration Note (Cisco part number 78-13074-02) at the following website:http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/idsm/idsm_2/index.htmUPDATES FOR MANAGEMENT CONSOLEThe version 2.2.x Directors and CSPM 2.3.x must have the S11 or greaterSignature Update to configure a 3.0(2)S10 Intrusion Detection System Module (IDSM). If the Director already has the S11 or greater Signature Update, it does not need to be reapplied.The latest versions of CSPM & the Unix Director are available for download at:http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cspm (CSPM)http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ids221-dir-update (Unix Director)=====================================================
    View more
12-07-2001
Cancel Post

• About ifStackTable - ( 12-06-2001 )
  • If logic interfaces exist on a router such as sub interface, can they be found in the ifTable? And where to find the relationship between the interfaces?For example, int e0, int e0.1, can I find the relationship between them in ifStackTable?
    View more
12-06-2001
Cancel Post

12-06-2001
Cancel Post

12-06-2001
Cancel Post

• DID and VoIP - ( 12-05-2001 )
  • Other Collaboration Subjects
  • I'm trying to hw-configure a new project and have the following questions:-to support a t1 for DID i would use an NM-HDV-T1?-on the ouside of the DID a user would dial a complete (say) 10-digit number and th telco would provide me with a few digits (3 or 5) that i would have to route on the way in via a dial-peer, right?-would i be able to dial a number xxxx (example)from inside to outside and get a hold of the DID trunk then dial, say, a 10-digit number and access the PSTN?if i was not clear enought i can be reached at carlos@mnet.com.mx.thanks,carlos.
    View more
12-05-2001
Cancel Post

• Load balancing proxy chain with LD - ( 12-04-2001 )
  • Application Networking
  • Next Week we have to do some consulting at a customers, who owns 4 LD 416. He wants to do full HA balancing of his web proxy chain, consisting of 2 proxy servers, 2 viruswalls and 2 applet traps.In his current configuration he routes the HTTP requests from internal clients through a firewall andLD1 into DMZ1-proxy, then through the firewall and LD2 to DMZ2-viruswall, then through the firewall and LD1 back to DMZ1-applettrap, and finally towards the internet. This results in a tremendous load on the firewall box.Our suggestion to overcome this situation is to set up to VLANs at interfaces 2 and 3 of LD1. The proxy servers will reside in VLAN2, the viruswall at VLAN3, and the applettrap at VLAN2 again. So the LD can bridge all the VLANs and balance the complete proxy chain.Will this work? Anything we overlooked? Is there somebody out there who has done something similar before? What configuration specialties have to been taken into account?Thanks in advance,Oliver
    View more
12-04-2001
Cancel Post

• Load balancing proxy chain with LD - ( 12-03-2001 )
  • Application Networking
  • Next Week we have to do some consulting at a customers, who owns 4 LD 416. He wants to do full HA balancing of his web proxy chain, consisting of 2 proxy servers, 2 viruswalls and 2 applet traps.In his current configuration he routes the HTTP requests from internal clients through a firewall and LD1 into DMZ1-proxy, then through the firewall and LD2 to DMZ2-viruswall, then through the firewall and LD1 back to DMZ1-applettrap, and finally towards the internet. This results in a tremendous load on the firewall box.Our suggesstion to overcome this situation is to set up to VLANs at interfaces 2 and 3 of LD1. The proxy servers will reside in VLAN2, the viruswall at VLAN3, and the applettrap at VLAN2 again. So the LD can bridge all the VLANs and balance the complete proxy chain.Internet Proxy1&2 AppletTrap1&2 | ___|__|_________|__| | / VLAN2+----+ VLAN1 +----+ /| FW |-------| LD |<+----+ +----+ \ VirusWall1&2 | \_____|__| | VLAN3Internal LANWill this work? Anything we overlooked? Is there somebody out there who has done something similar before? What configuration specialties have to been taken into account?Thanks in advance,Oliver
    View more
12-03-2001
Cancel Post

• configuration of VWIC-1MF-E1 (G703) and channelised E1 - ( 12-03-2001 )
  • We are trying to terminate a channelised E1 delivered by British Telecom (BT) on an NTU 8a. BT advise that timeslots 1-24 are active, providing connectivity to a T1 bearer at the other end of the link.Our Cisco hardware is a Cisco 3660, VWIC-1MFT-1 (G703)hosted in a dual WAN interface card (NM-2W). Connection to the NTU is straight network cable from the VWIC to a cisco Balun adapter cable CAB-ADPT-75-120 which in turn is connected to the bnc coaxial connectors on the NTU. Router software release is 12.2.6.In order to test loops to the telco the Controller has had to be set to: framing no-crc4 (crc-4 does not work), line code hdb3, clock source line.We have created a channel group with Ts 1-24Our problem is that the serial interface is toggling between up and down. The distant end of the link is a USA T1.Has anyone had experience making such a configuration work?ThanksIan
    View more
12-03-2001
Cancel Post

• Software/Tools for Monitoring Pri Channels - ( 12-02-2001 )
  • Does anyone have any feedback on software that will monitor channels on a pri line on a router. The Admin. Serviceability Tool under Devices will not allow me to see individual channels for a H323 device. I asked Cisco Tac and they agreed that it was not possible at this point. I dont want to telnet to each gateway and do line commands for this information. thanks marc
    View more
12-02-2001
Cancel Post

• Asymmetric Bandwidth Consumption - ( 12-01-2001 )
  • Hi All,Is there anyone know the clue for VOIP traffic , why the bandwidth consumtion is asymmetric.Is it possible if the same codec negotiated ( but use the different payload size ) cause this kinda problem ?In my site .. It is a terminating VOIP GW , the incoming traffic is 50% higher than the outgoing.How can I choose the codec used preferences if we only have pots dial-peer ( Since it is terminating only GW to PSTN so we don't configure the dial-peer VOIP ) ...I really appreciate any helpsthanks
    View more
12-01-2001
Cancel Post

• about network management with DCC in ONS15454 - ( 12-01-2001 )
  • Optical Networking
  • hi,in ONS15454 dcc data processed with dcc processor which is there on the TCC. that means dcc informations from all the line cards coming to the TCC. why not DCC processing is on line card itself? if yes what are limitations having on TCC card and on line cardthanks & regards,vishnu
    View more
12-01-2001
Cancel Post

11-30-2001
Cancel Post

• How to trunking btw Catalyst 3524XL & 3Com 3800 switch? Really in trouble. - ( 11-29-2001 )
  • It's quite a easy thing to config vlan trunking btw Cisco catalyst switches. But as someone has mentioned on this forum, I'm now amazing in configuring trunk to synchronous multi vlan between a Cat3524 and a 3Com 3800 switch.I'v configured a trunk port on Cat3524 as usual in connecting with other Catalyst switches, but set encapsulation to be "dot1q", i.e. ieee 802.1Q. But on the other end of the link, 3Com's 3800 has no concept of "vtp domain" and create vlan by defining a vlan name like "Eng_flr3". From 3Com's simple manual, it seems there is a feature named "Tag Number" to configure on a port to transfer multi-vlan traffic just like Cisco' trunk port. And there's a vlan number set by 3800 similar as vlan id on Cat3524.I've tried to config some same vlans on both switches, but PCs can not ping others on another switch but in same vlan. On Cat3524, other vlans' information can not be learnt. Someone in former conversation on this forum said 3Com's vlan "default", which has a Tag id of 127 and a vlan id of 1 in my case, is a native vlan, and the default vlan number on Cat3524 should be changed to other local vlan. I've tried, but with no effect, or maybe there's still some critical config should be set on 3Com 3800?I'll be really very thankful if anyone has experience on this problem could give me some advice.
    View more
11-29-2001
Cancel Post

• VlanTrunk between Cat3524 and 3Com3300 ? - ( 11-29-2001 )
  • I'm trying to get a 3com box to talk to a dot1q trunk on a cat3524. So far I understand that the 3com talks VLT on 3com proprietry trunks only so the 3com manual suggests that to connect to other vendors dot1q trunks I have to set up each of the vlans that we want to use separately on the 3300, making sure that I use the same vlan ids as exist in our main cisco vtp domain. Then I'm told to add all of them to the port on the 3com switch that I want to use as a trunk - as in a multi port. The Cat3524's trunk port that the 3300 is hooked up to looks like this :Interface FastEthernet0/5 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport mode trunkI only seem to get connectivity on vlan 1 so I'm assuming that the native vlans aren't mismatched - although I have tried adding the line : switchport trunk native vlan 1to the cat's trunk, which made no difference so I wonder if I'm right in presuming that vlan1 is indeed the native vlan ?I've also tried setting up the cat's trunk as a multi port - however I get a "Command rejected: One or more ports is already configured as a trunk port" message when I type it in configure mode. Has anyone any experience or tips in trying to get this to work or should I just trade-in my old 3300's?
    View more
11-29-2001
Cancel Post

11-29-2001
Cancel Post

• Load balancing between two routers - ( 11-27-2001 )
  • Application Networking
  • I have two routers connected through the LAN connection. The first one is using as routing protocol EIGRP, the other one is part of the managed service and I do not have access to it. I would like to make a load balancing between the two of them by redistributing the static routes in EIGRP. When I tried this, I am loosing the EIGRP entry for this route in the routing table. I would like to have both of them , so we could have traffic sharing. I appreciate if you give me any hints.
    View more
11-27-2001
Cancel Post

11-27-2001
Cancel Post

• Catalyst WS-C1201 prompt - ( 11-26-2001 )
  • I picked up a few of the 50 or so WS-C1201 swithces a large California aircraft company retired. They must have done a clear config all to wipe out nvram, but also an erase all to wipe out the ios off of flash. I have the ios to reinstall, but cannot get a prompt to communicate. I have tried shorting jumper J-17, which is supposed to restore a prompt, but cannot get one on any of the switches. Any suggestions?
    View more
11-26-2001
Cancel Post

• ISDN - Difference between busy and reorder? - ( 11-23-2001 )
  • Is there a difference between a standard busy signal and a signal sent back when a circuit is down? There are a few times when employees have called home and instead of getting a busy signal directly, the call is rerouted through our network to a different gateway and then they receive the busy signal. This would probably be ok, except that we use long-distance access codes through our LD carrier. The users are confused when they dial a local call and are prompted for a LD code. Any suggestions?
    View more
11-23-2001
Cancel Post

• VPN Realm Substitution - ( 11-22-2001 )
  • Other Security Subjects
  • I wish to be able to substitute a realm name, my senario is that I wish to dial up to a ISP with a realm name of nick@isp and then connect to a VPN with a realm of nick@vpn. My restriction is that I will be using CHAP authentication and that I my client cannot cope with 2 realm names. The Windows 2000 VPN solution has a facility called REALM substituion/replcaement that allows me to configure a rule that will detect a realm and replace it with another.Is this possible with a CISCO solution...?
    View more
11-22-2001
Cancel Post

• NT Net Send - ( 11-22-2001 )
  • Not sure if this is the right discussion area for the query but here goes...We currently use the netsend dos command to send instant messages, which flood the network messages, including all servers. Its not a very good way of doing it! I was wondering if anyone could recommend some software for this. I am after something which sends to NT users and groups, rather than broadcasting to every node. Thanks.
    View more
11-22-2001
Cancel Post

• Load Bypass - ( 11-21-2001 )
  • Application Networking
  • The Cisco Cache Engines support a feature called "Load Bypass" whereby if a cache feels it is under too much "stress" it will start to bypass buckets. What we are finding is that occasionally one of the cache engines will go into Load Bypass and start bypassing buckets. In fact it will end up bypassing almost all of the buckets and will never add them back in. We have a case open with Cisco support but I thought I would see if anyone else on this list is experiencing this problem. Also, do Cisco Cache users on this list generally turn this feature on or off? It sure would be nice to have bypassed buckets redistributed to other cache engines in the cluster... [We have 8 x CE-590, 4 in each of two locations, all running V2.5.1]Thanks.
    View more
11-21-2001
Cancel Post

• Computer-Aided Telephone Interviewing System - ( 11-21-2001 )
  • Dear all,we have a customer want to implement a Computer-Aided Telephone Interviewing System. (i.e.the IVRs system will make a outbound calls based on a phone list and interview the users automatically) Would like to know if anyone have tried this by using Call manager + CRA?Thanks,Eric Lam
    View more
11-21-2001
Cancel Post