Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HOW TO FIND WHAT CONFIGURATION VALUES WERE USED DURING THE SETUP OF APIC1?

Setting up the APIC:

When the APIC is launched for the first time, the APIC console presents a series of initial setup options. For many options, you can press Enter to choose the default setting that is displayed in brackets. At any point in the setup dialog, you can restart the dialog from the beginning by pressing Ctrl-C.

Starting with APIC release 1.2(2x), during the initial setup the system will prompt you to select IPv4, or IPv6, or dual stack configuration. Choosing dual stack will enable accessing the APIC and ACI fabric out-of-band management interfaces with either IPv4 or IPv6 addresses. While the examples in the table below use IPv4 addresses, you can use whatever IP address configuration options you chose to enable during the initial setup.

Key Parameter Values that are used during the setup script:

• Fabric name
  • Number of controllers
  • Controller ID
  • IP address pool for tunnel endpoint addresses (TEP)
  • IP address pool for bridge domain multicast address (GIPO)
  • Management interface speed/duplex mode
  • VLAN ID for infrastructure network
  • IPv4/IPv6 addresses for the out-of-band management
  • IPv4/IPv6 addresses of the default gateway
  • Strong password check

A common question asked by admin users when restoring an APIC\Fabric to factory defaults or adding an additional APIC to an existing fabric is How do I find the configuration settings that I used when I setup APIC1 during the setup script utility?”.

The attached PDF has instructions on how to do this..

Comments
michgri
Level 1
Level 1
It looks like you can do most of this fairly easily now in version 4.1(1k) without root access--see below. Although to be fair it is possible that one of my colleagues got root access to fix something behind my back--this is a lab machine. Why hasn't Cisco implemented a way to get at this information through the GUI? It seems to me that (especially since you can't change many of these values) it should be easy to do, and it would potentially save a TAC call when a customer needs this information.
aci1-apic-1# cat /data/data_admin/sam_exported.config Setup for Active and Standby APIC fabricDomain = ACI Fabric1 fabricID = 1 systemName =aci1-apic-1 controllerID = 1 tepPool = 10.0.0.0/16 infraVlan = 3967 GIPo = 225.0.0.0/15 clusterSize = 1 standbyApic = NO enableIPv4 = Y enableIPv6 = N firmwareVersion = 4.1(1k) ifcIpAddr = 10.0.0.1 apicX = NO podId = 1 oobIpAddr = 8.8.8.8/24
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: