Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The purpose of this BLOG is to discuss Questions, Concerns, and Issues with the Syslog Feature functionality in the ACI Fabrics. Since this is Feature focused we can monitor your feedback and push for improvements and enhancements if requested. Also, this forum allows you to ask questions and hopefully we can assist you and your questions.

Thank you again for participating in the Cisco Support Forum!

T.

10 Comments
Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

These feature focused threads are a great idea!  Tomas, do you have a syslog equivalent of your SNMP Configuration/Troubleshooting guide?

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In progress, just finishing up the troubleshooting part.  I will post here next week.

Thanks

T.

brettkugler
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Tomas,

Hopefully this is still being monitored.  I am trying to setup syslog to a remote syslog server in the APIC.  I created a Syslog Monitoring Destination Group with a remote destination.  I entered the IP address and port for the remote system - but noticed after creating the group that it's showing the standard syslog port/protocol of 514 and UDP.

Two things here - I would expect the port to align with the port I configured for the Remote Destination (1517 in this case) and I don't see anywhere where I can specify the protocol (I'd prefer TCP over UDP).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Brett

Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Brett,  Tomas indicated last week that he would have an updated guide this week.

I too am having issues with getting syslog working.  You might try looking at the OOB Management Contract where you add the SNMP filters.

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Brett,

Please provide the output of the following CLI commands from the APIC:

show running syslog
show running logging server-group  < name of your syslog destination group >

In Regards to the port changes, if you creat a new policy with a different port then that should work. If you created a policy and then you decide to make a change to the existing policy, the changes may not be deployed and applied correctly. This may due to a known issue listed below:

CSCvb92115 - [apic syslog] Danube: Changes to existing Syslog Remote Destination config requires mgmt restart

The temporary workaround is to run "acidiag mgmt restart" from the APIC CLI.

The port configuration is for UDP Only.

I hope this helps and Thank you again for participating in the Cisco Support Forum!

T.

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SYSLOG in ACI 

Overview, Configuration, Troubleshooting, and Caveats\Issues

• ACI SYSLOG Overview
  • About System Messages
  • Fault Syslogs
  • Event Syslogs
  • ACI System Message Structure
  • Management Contracts required for SYSLOG
  • About this Technote on SYSLOG in ACI
  • ACI SYSLOG Configuration
  • Configuring the SYSLOG Feature using the APIC iNXOS CLI
  • Configuring the SYSLOG Feature using the APIC Admin GUI "Advanced Mode”
  • Verify SYSLOG Configuration using “CLI Show Commands”
  • Test the SYSLOG Configuration using the “CLI Syslog” Test feature
  • Troubleshooting ACI SYSLOG Configuration (cont.)
  • Verify ACI SYSLOG Configuration using “CLI commands”
  • Verify ACI SYSLOG Configuration using “moquery”
  • Verify ACI SYSLOG Configuration using “VISORE”
  • Verify ACI SYSLOG Configuration checking the “REST API”
  • Verify ACI SYSLOG Configuration checking the “Logical Model”
  • Verify SYSLOG Messages are being sent by the LEAF\SPINE\APIC
  • Troubleshooting the ACI SYSLOG Configuration on the APIC
  • Troubleshooting the ACI SYSLOG Configuration on the LEAF & SPINE nodes
  • ACI SYSLOG Configuration Caveats - Issues
  • References & Resources
avanzaadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tomas,

Great work with the syslog in ACI!

Me and my colleagues just have one concern with the logging. We can't get "fraction of seconds" (%N in linux) remote logging to work in aci without manipulating the remote server and add timestamps as the packet reaches the server.

We can see milliseconds with the "show events" command in the apic, so the timestamps exists but are not exported to the remote server.

Are "fraction of seconds" logging feature on the roadmap for ACI remote syslogging or is it already implemented and we've missed it?

Regards Marcus

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Marcus,

Thanks for your comments.  Yes, as you are aware we are not using "TIME-SECFRAC".  I will create an enhancement request to add this.  There may be a reason why we did not use this when programming the feature. "TIME-SECFRAC" is not required by the RFC.  They use "SHOULD" and not must.  Clock accuracy and performance impact are key factors for considering "TIME-SECFRAC".

Let's see what the developers say and I will post the relevant comments here.

Thanks again for using the Cisco Support Forum for ACI!

T.

avanzaadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for the info! :)

Alisha_Rascon
Level 1
Level 1

Great Work!!!

SYSLOG in ACI Overview, Configuration, Troubleshooting, and Caveats\Issues Created by Tomas de Leon......Thanks For Sharing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: