Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Pondering Automation: A refresher on target properties

Views
Helpful
Comments
Cisco Employee

Hello out there in Automation Land!! I hope the day finds you well and ready to learn. I'm taking a step back on this blog and reviewing extended target properties from 2.3.X days and moving on into target properties which is now common in 3.0. We need to talk about history, how we got here, and now how we should use these proporties to make our coding the absolute best! For some of you this might be a review but I would like to get a nice and stable base before we get into a few more detailed topics which I have planned for later this year. If you have not seen it yet, either, I *highly* suggest you go back through the blog and find the "Am I your target type?" blog where you can learn all about target types and the apples and the orange trees! We need to look at the slight differences in moving from ETPs in 2.3.X to target properties in 3.0 and beyond. They can all be the same types as the variables types are consistant across the board, however with the addition of groupings and target types the way they can be used has changed a bit. If you use ETPs in 2.3.X do not worry about upgrading to 3.0! It's easy and seemless, you'll just have to do some work with groupings, but everything will still function correctly. I do not like to type a lot in these intros as I find the videos a lot more useful for engineers

I am also starting a new segment in the video called "Did you know?" This will be a recurring segment that will last at most 5-10 minutes and help you learn something very basic about the automations or products that you might not know! This week's Did You Know is on definition variables. In the upcoming months I'm hoping to make this blog very active and look to be doing at least 1 per month if not 2 per month. That is pretty aggressive for me but this year is all about producing lots of content and making the development commuity grow. But I need more ideas!!! Please submit some ideas to me and I'll be happy to blog/video on them and help you with your content development needs! I will also be rating the content on level of difficulty, that way, if you are new you can properly set your expectations. Ratings are on a scale of 1-10. With 1 being "I just picked up CPO/coding" to 10 being "I can develop Windows by myself" (or close to it )

Difficulty rating: 5

Now... ONTO THE VIDEO!

https://ciscosupport.webex.com/ciscosupport/lsr.php?RCID=395b81d7d80747e4adcf79e3e0d3d82e

Shaun's Monthly Q/A

No questions this month! Hopefully we'll get some in to answer for next time!

Every month I will pick a handful of questions from you, the reading CPO public, to answer in this part of the blog. Please post comments/questions below. I will no longer be using the external e-mail from previous blogs.

Please also let me know if you like the format of this blog and what else you would like to see/know about. Feel free to give any ideas as to future blog posts, etc and I will be happy to post them. I hope to  do more how-tos, best practices, tips, tricks, and hopefully some interviews of the important people behind the scenes of CPO.

WEEKLY AUTOMATION BLOG DISCLAIMER: As always, this is a blog and my (Shaun Roberts) thoughts on CPO, my thoughts on best practices, and my experiences with the product and customers. The above views are in  no way representative of Cisco or any of it's partners, etc. None  of these views, etc are supported and this is not a place to find standard product support. If you need standard product support  please do so via the current call in numbers on Cisco.com or email tac@cisco.com

Thanks to all for reading and happy automating!

-Shaun Roberts

shaurobe@cisco.com

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
August's Community Spotlight Awards