cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Pondering Automation: Am I your target type?

Views
Helpful
Comments
Cisco Employee

Howdy out there in Automation land!!

It's been a month plus since I last wrote something for this blog and I know I'm slacking but I'll just blame the holiday season as my reason to slow down. I hope everyone is getting to spend time with friends, family, loved ones, and just slow down a bit. At work, sadly that's oh so not the case. We have a ton of great stuff going in the automation world and one of those (a major one) would be the release of CPO 3.0! I was very excited to see this version come out and introduce a lot of fixes and a lot of great additions to the product. The developers, QA, management, etc has worked tireless hours to get this version out and we can thank them for that.

So as an introduction to CPO 3.0 I decided to do a video blog on some of the new things in CPO 3.0 with a heavy highlight on Target Types which has given CPO development a little more of an object oriented feel and has put the target, more than the process, at the center of your development. Let me tell you... it is outstanding. As someone who works in CPO on a daily basis it has made my content authoring life much easier. It did take me a few to get used to it, even though I have many years writing object oriented code in other languages, it does take a little bit to get used to. So hopefully the below video can give you some guidance on how they work and a fun implementation of them! I did a fun/make believe implementation using target types to help those of all skill levels understand the concepts and how they work. Hopefully you can think like I do and see it the way I see it If not, no worries, feel free to post questions below or drop me a line or open a TAC case.  I do mention another video blog and I plan to release that next week as I'll be taking a nice 3 week vacation at the end of the year and I wanted to get that other blog out there so y'all have plenty of material to review and watch. Hopefully you have a little down time later in the year and can enjoy this content. This is by no means the only way to think about it or an "official" training segment, but it is how I view things and how I believe others can view it as well. Again, if anything is not clear, please let me know! Please be aware that the whole video is 1 hour, 20 minutes so take a long lunch Your boss should be fine with it, you are training and becoming a better content author!

With that said.... ONTO THE VIDEO!!!

https://ciscosupport.webex.com/ciscosupport/lsr.php?RCID=9308c598be8b8dc1849dc6db57e141b7

Shaun's Monthly Q/A

No questions this month! Hopefully we'll get some in to answer for next time!

Every month I will pick a handful of questions from you, the reading CPO  public, to answer in this part of the blog. Please post  comments/questions below. I will no longer be using the external e-mail  from previous blogs.

Please  also let me know if you like the format of this blog and what else you  would like to see/know about. Feel free to give any ideas as to future  blog posts, etc and I will be happy to post them. I hope to do more  how-tos, best practices, tips, tricks, and hopefully some interviews of  the important people behind the scenes of CPO.

WEEKLY  AUTOMATION BLOG DISCLAIMER: As always, this is a blog and my (Shaun  Roberts) thoughts on CPO, my thoughts on best practices, and my  experiences with the product and customers. The above views are in no  way representative of Cisco or any of it's partners, etc. None of these  views, etc are supported and this is not a place to find standard  product support. If you need standard product support please do so via  the current call in numbers on Cisco.com or email tac@cisco.com

Thanks to all for reading and happy automating!

-Shaun Roberts

shaurobe@cisco.com

3 Comments
Beginner

Thanks, a nice introduction to 3.0.

Cisco Employee

Thanks a bunch! Check out the other blogs as I post, hopefully they can continue to be helpful for you.

--shaun

Cisco Employee

I have updated the webex link due to webex security changes. Let me know if the link does not work.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards