Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Pondering Automation: Direction change?

Views
Helpful
Comments
Cisco Employee

Hello all there out in automation land!! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season and have come back ready to automate and make your lives easier. I know I had a good rest and time with friends and family and came back fully energized. With having said all that I also wanted to annouce a change in things.... I have changed roles in Cisco and moved out of support into writing and coordinating automations full time! So the blog is not going anywhere, in fact, it will probably get some better topics and be stronger this year as I look to pull from my daily automation work. My goal this year is to help you automate the things they are causing you issues and daily headaches.

What is the best way to start automating something? Figure out a mundane task you do in IT on a daily basis. Figure out how you could enrich some tickets. Figure out something that a Subject Matter Expert does without thinking but a lesser engineer would have issue doing. Jumble those together and figure out what automation can do for you and how you can use it to be successful. Take those mundane tasks, automate them, and then spend that 20% of your time you are saving to go accelerate projects or do some R&D. In semi building off of a couple of previous blogs, we will have a VOD today that looks at building a demi-adapter or interface if you want to call it that. We will use the web services adapter and build out an interface between CPO and a major ticket tracking system.

What's an example of something to automate? Well this is a question I worked on over the past month to come up with a very cool concept. Could you automate responses from one system to another? Sure you could. What about to an end user? Yes! Even better. You can use automations to do case deflection from your support organizations and allow your support personnel to work on those really difficult cases and spend more time training and becoming more seasoned engineers. What about making tickets better? Yeah!!! Another automation could have you reading through the case on your system and then determining things like triage, reading logs from common issues, or just adding data to the case to make the life of your support personnel better. In automations, we do not have to solve every issue and conquer the world. If we can save a single engineer 5 minutes a day, that adds up over many engineers and over many weeks..... we are now saving our company a ton of money or we are allowing our company to build better resources.

As always, onto the VOD!

https://ciscosupport.webex.com/ciscosupport/lsr.php?RCID=b280473e45e9449323ae241eadd4eed8

Shaun's Weekly Q/A

No questions this week! Hopefully we'll get some in to answer for next week!

Ever week I will pick a handful of questions from you, the reading CPO public, to answer in this part of the blog. Please post comments/questions below. I will no longer be using the external e-mail from previous blogs.

Please also let me know if you like the format of this blog and what else you would like to see/know about. Feel free to give any ideas as to future blog posts, etc and I will be happy to post them. I hope to do more how-tos, best practices, tips, tricks, and hopefully some interviews of the important people behind the scenes of CPO.

WEEKLY AUTOMATION BLOG DISCLAIMER: As always, this is a blog and my (Shaun Roberts) thoughts on CPO, my thoughts on best practices, and my experiences with the product and customers. The above views are in no way representative of Cisco or any of it's partners, etc. None of these views, etc are supported and this is not a place to find standard product support. If you need standard product support please do so via the current call in numbers on Cisco.com  or email tac@cisco.com

Thanks to all for reading and happy automating!

-Shaun Roberts

shaurobe@cisco.com

2 Comments
Frequent Contributor

Thank you, Shaun!

Cisco Employee

updated webex link. let me know if it does not work.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards