Did you mean: 
cancel

Pondering Automation: Inside Out Architecture

Views
Helpful
Comments
Cisco Employee

Howdy out there in automation land!

Wow, so it's only been 5 days since my last post.... don't want to spoil everyone and don't think this will be consistent but I'm glad I can provide a bunch of content for everyone to enjoy as the year is coming to a close. When you need to "get through" a few hours towards the end of the year punch up an old Pondering Automation blog and let me entertain and enlight you, or maybe help you sleep. Not judging As I mentioned in my last blog I was going to have another one before year end and here it is. I wanted to show a framework I built and used for a couple of different automations so you could see some interesting ways to call and handle processes and to architect things. The content you write is not just a single script here or a single piece there... oh no. It needs to start to grow into programs and classes and mini-applications. Well designed and well developed processes can lay your foundation for automation and can save your company millions over time.

This blog(and of course video) is about using the North Bound Web Services to do some neat architecture and frameworks. I do not believe I've gone into detail on this topic before but I started to use it about a year ago and have grown it out since. This architecture is nice if you want to build frameworks and plugins. Or if you are just interested in how the North Bound Web Services can work then this blog is for you. The more I code in Orchestrator the more I love using web services. If your applications do not use web services, you need to get into the 21st century! In using the North Bound Web Services, a simple table, and a framework setup we can make a very nice set of automations that is highly expansible and highly usable by many. And at the end of the day, the more that can use your automations, the better. The more that use, the more buy-in you receive and the more successful you will become. I would really love to hear about the automations *YOU* are writing. What are you doing with CPO in the "wild"? Please write me some success (or failure) stories to shaurobe@cisco.com with the subject "CPO in the wild". I plan to take some of the best(or worst) and put them on display in 2014's blogs! I will change the names of those involved, so this is more of a story telling excercise than anything else.

And with that said, have a wonderful holiday season and a very happy new year and I look forward to blogging back with you in 2014. Best wishes and best of everything to you and yours.

Now.... ONTO THE VIDEO!

https://ciscosupport.webex.com/ciscosupport/lsr.php?RCID=6376f83d8f050f854f7e1741efe29fea

Shaun's Monthly Q/A

No questions this month! Hopefully we'll get some in to answer for next time!

Every  month I will pick a handful of questions from you, the reading CPO   public, to answer in this part of the blog. Please post   comments/questions below. I will no longer be using the external e-mail   from previous blogs.

Please   also let me know if you like the format of this blog and what else you   would like to see/know about. Feel free to give any ideas as to future   blog posts, etc and I will be happy to post them. I hope to do more   how-tos, best practices, tips, tricks, and hopefully some interviews of   the important people behind the scenes of CPO.

WEEKLY   AUTOMATION BLOG DISCLAIMER: As always, this is a blog and my (Shaun   Roberts) thoughts on CPO, my thoughts on best practices, and my   experiences with the product and customers. The above views are in no   way representative of Cisco or any of it's partners, etc. None of these   views, etc are supported and this is not a place to find standard   product support. If you need standard product support please do so via   the current call in numbers on Cisco.com or email tac@cisco.com

Thanks to all for reading and happy automating!

-Shaun Roberts

shaurobe@cisco.com

2 Comments
Cisco Employee

Updated webex link due to change in webex system setup. Please let me know if the link does not work

Cisco Employee

Shaun,

Thanks for the good post. Video Link stated above is expired. Could you please provide an alternate link?

Regards,

Eswar

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards
This widget could not be displayed.