Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Pondering Automation: Tis The Season For Interfaces

Views
Helpful
Comments
Cisco Employee

Hello all in Automation Land!!! Tis the season I believe. Thanksgiving has just passed and people are returning from black friday, football and turkey filled Thursday, and long weekends. Everyone is gearing up for the couple weeks that lead (for most) into a nice 1-2 week break at the end of the year. I hope the holiday season finds you happy, healthy, and well fed and you are getting time with friends and family. However, the world of automation does not stop! CIAC 3.1 has been released and offered up some outstanding new pieces into the CIAC landscape. We have also released CPO 2.3.4 and included some new adapters and new functionality, so I highly suggest you take a look at it! Plenty of great fixes and there are even more great things on the horizon for CPO.  (Speaking of Horizon, if you still use Horizon or TEO 2.1, please know support is up for those in May 2013)

About a month ago I took on the challenge of doing some automated ticket answering through SalesForce.com for an internal cisco team. Having no prior knowledge of SalesForce I knew it was going to be quite the challenge. I was to make an automated answering service through SalesForce.com that would be semi-intelligent and be able to determine a person's problem and answer that problem based on some calculated stats. Think of this like when you call into your 401K plan or your cable or phone provider and you get that very nice lady who asks "What is your problem?". When you tell her, the voice recognition software takes over and tries to figure out where to route you or how to help you. My task was to do the same thing but to do so via email and salesforce.com. So I wanted to take time in this blog (and webex VOD of course) to show how I built out the interface to Salesforce.com. Basically I made a make-shift adapter for SalesForce.com even though we have no SDK or the ability to create our own adapters in CPO. You can use automation packs, icons, and categories to make your own personal adapters for your systems. I did this with researching and learning the SalesForce.com API and making the calls from CPO.

I do want to wish all the readers a Happy Holidays (in whatever way you celebrate) and hope to see you all in January in store for a great 2013!!!!

Onto the VOD. As always, ENJOY!!!!

https://ciscosupport.webex.com/ciscosupport/lsr.php?RCID=2c05b67d9cf08d79d71455da4da0b9bc

Shaun's Weekly Q/A

No questions this week! Hopefully we'll get some in to answer for next week!

Ever week I will pick a handful of questions from you, the reading CPO public, to answer in this part of the blog. Please post comments/questions below. I will no longer be using the external e-mail from previous blogs.

Please also let me know if you like the format of this blog and what else you would like to see/know about. Feel free to give any ideas as to future blog posts, etc and I will be happy to post them. I hope to do more how-tos, best practices, tips, tricks, and hopefully some interviews of the important people behind the scenes of CPO.

WEEKLY CPO BLOG DISCLAIMER: As always, this is a blog and my (Shaun Roberts) thoughts on CPO, my thoughts on best practices, and my experiences with the product and customers. The above views are in no way representative of Cisco or any of it's partners, etc. None of these views, etc are supported and this is not a place to find standard product support. If you need standard product support please do so via the current call in numbers (650-475-4600 or 877-55-TIDAL) or via e-mail at tidal-support@cisco.com (please include your Cisco ID when emailing in) or tac@cisco.com

Thanks to all for reading and happy automating!

-Shaun Roberts

shaurobe@cisco.com

CPO/CIAC Support Team Lead

1 Comment
Cisco Employee

changed webex link. let me know if there are any issues.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
August's Community Spotlight Awards