Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In version 1.2 of the Nexus 1000V we introduced L3 based connectivity for control traffic between the VSM and its VEMs. We did this because in some environments it’s just not possible to have L2 connectivity between VSM and all the VEMs that will be attached.

It was still a best practice to use L2 based control but we offered L3 based connectivity for customers that needed it.

Going forward you will see situations where we need L3 based control over L2. Why? Well for one as we introduce integration with other products using L3 allows us to be more flexible in our deployments. L3 control is also easier to troubleshoot. You can use simple tools like ping to verify network connectivity between the VSM and VEM.

The downside is that it requires a VMK interface on the ESX host and an IP address. This is yet another management interface that you have to deal with.

The goal of this write up is to show you how to setup L3 control between the VSM and VEM.

The Nexus 1000V VSM VM has 3 network interfaces.

• Control (control0)
  • Management (mgmt0)
  • Packet

When setting up L3 control you have two options.

• L3 control through VSM mgmt0 interface (default)
  • L3 control through VSM control0 interface

Several important notes

• When setting up L3 control both “control and packet” traffic are forwarded over the same interface.  In L3 control mode the packet nic does not get used on the VM, but don’t delete it. The VM still expects that nic to be present.
  • Also control0 and mgmt0 use a different VRF. If you use control0 you will need to setup a route in the default VRF.

n1kv-l3# show vrf interface

Interface                     VRF-Name                    VRF-ID

control0                      default                          1

mgmt0                         management                       2

When should I use dedicated VSM Control interface for L3?

• If you want to isolate your control and management to the VSM VM.
  • If you want your control interface to be a in different subnet than the management interface

Sample topology

• VSM is in a 172.18.217.x subnet in VLAN 2
  • My ESXi hosts are in 192.168.10.x in VLAN 10 and 192.168.11.x  in VLAN 11

Configure the VSM for L3 control

When running setup on a newly created VSM choose L3 when you get to the following question during setup.

setup.jpg

At this point the VSM is configured for L3 but it will be using the mgmt 0 interface.

n1kv-l3# show svs domain

SVS domain config:

Domain id:    43 

Control vlan: 1 

Packet vlan:  1 

L2/L3 Control mode: L3

L3 control interface: mgmt0

Status: Config push to VC failed (communication failure with VC).

In L3 mode control and packet vlans will show as vlan 1. No need to change these. You can also see that the L3 control interface is mgmt0.

Now that we have the L3 control configured on the VSM, continue with normal setup.

• Configure VSM to vCenter connectivity
  • Configure uplink port-profiles

One note about your uplink port-profile: You need to create and allow the VLAN that your ESX hosts will use to communicate to the VSM.  My ESX hosts are going to communicate on VLAN 10 and VLAN 11 using a VMK interface in the 192.168.10.x and 192.168.11.x subnets. My uplink port-profile needs to look like the following

port-profile type ethernet uplink

vmware port-group

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,11,150-152

no shutdown

system vlan 10,11

state enabled

VLAN 10 and 11 are allowed and set as a system VLAN.

Next we need to create a veth port-profile for the VMK interfaces that will be used for L3 control. I need to create 2 veth port-profiles. One for hosts in VLAN 10 and another for hosts in VLAN 11.

N1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# port-profile type veth L3-control-vlan10

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# switchport mode access

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# switchport access vlan 10

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# vmware port-group

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# no shutdown

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# capability L3control

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# system vlan 10

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# state enabled

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# port-profile type vethernet L3-control-vlan11

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# switchport mode access

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# switchport access vlan 11

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# vmware port-group

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# no shut

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# capability L3control

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# system vlan 11

n1kv-l3(config-port-prof)# state enabled

Now comes the easy part. We need to make sure that ESXi hosts can ping the VSM so we know they have network connectivity.  With L2 control there was no easy way to verify network connectivity between the VSM and VEMs.

Next add the ESXi hosts to the Nexus 1000V in VMware vCenter. If you have VUM installed the VEM modules will automatically get loaded. If you don’t have VUM installed you will need to manually install the VEM modules on the ESXi hosts.

When you add the host, it will show up in VMware vCenter as added, but it will not show up as a module on the VSM until you add a VMK interface to the veth port-profile.

Do I need a dedicated VMK interface for control?

No. We are prefectly fine with customers migrating the mgmt vmk interface from the ESXi host to the VEM and using that interface. There have been changes on the VEM and VSM to better deal with higher latency networks and drops. Actually migrating the mgmt vmk interface makes life easier because there is no concern about needing to add static routes.

Create and add the VMK interface to the veth port-profile

Once you add the vmknic interface to either the L3-control-vlan10 or L3-control-vlan11 port-profile the VEM will know that it now has a way to communicate with the VSM. The VEM should show up on the VSM with a "show module" command and the VMK interface will show up with "show int virtual"

Note: We only support a single VMK interface per host to be assigned to the L3capability port-profile.

That's it for getting L3 control working with mgmt 0 on the VSM.

How about a quick example with control0

This time we will use

• Mgmt0 172.18.217.245/24 on VLAN 2
  • Control0 192.168.150.10/24 on VLAN 150
  • ESX hosts on 192.168.10.x/24 on VLAN 10
  • ESX hosts on 192.168.11.x/24 on VLAN 11

Make sure control 0 NIC is on the right VMware port-group

vsm.jpg

Assuming a new install and you set L3 control in the setup script we pick up with configuring control 0.

n1kv-l3(config)# int control 0

n1kv-l3(config-if)# ip address 192.168.150.10 255.255.255.0

Next change the SVS domain to use control0 instead of mgmt0

n1kv-l3(config-if)# svs-domain

n1kv-l3(config-svs-domain)# svs mode L3 interface control0

See if you can ping the 192.168.150.10 interface from the ESXi hosts. You should not be able to since we have not yet set a default route for the default VRF.

n1kv-l3(config)# vrf context default

n1kv-l3(config)# ip route 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.150.1

Now add the hosts to the Nexus 1000V and you should be set.

You can verify with “show module” and “show module vem counters” to verify you are getting heartbeat messages between the VSM and VEM.

Troubleshooting:

Some quick troubleshooting tips for L3 control

First make sure that you have “capability L3control” in your veth port-profile that the VMK interface will be connected to. Without that the VSM does not know that L3 control is supposed to be used on that port-profile.

Second make sure you have the right system VLANs in the eth and veth port-profile.

On the ESXi hosts you can use "vemcmd show port-drops ingress/egress", "vemcmd show stats"  and "vemcmd show packets" to see if you are receiving packets on the control VMK interface. On the VSM you can run "show module vem counters" to see if you are receiving packets from the VEMs.

Remember that L3 controls uses UDP and port 4785 for both tx and rx. Keep this in mind for any firewalls that might be present.

22 Comments
Juan Olivares
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Quick question... regarding the L3 dedicated control interface...

Could be also a best practice to create two vmknics within the same subnet??

vmknic01 (192.168.91.99) for management

vmknic02 (192.168.91.91) for L3 contol

On the ESXi customer has 2 x 10Gbit/s interfaces acting as one, so physical HA is covered but they would prefer to use the same physical NICs on the same network for both porposes (mgmt and L3). Doing labs is possible to create 2 vmknics on the same subnet and VSM-VEM works Ok as Management... but not sure if is sopported/documented.

Thanks in advance!

// Juan 

EXAMPLE

2vmknic.JPG

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's a great question. Let me do some digging. I'm not sure if we can load balance across two vmknics in the same L3 control port-profile.

louis

Juan Olivares
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm note sure if load-balance... but having a dedicate vmk for management and vmk for L3 in the same ESXi physical NIC (vmnic1):

================= VSM =================

port-profile type vethernet vmk01-L3-vlan-91

capability l3control <<< only for L3

vmware port-group

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 91 <<< only for L3

no shutdown

system vlan 91

state enabled

port-profile type vethernet vmk02-mgmt-vlan-91

vmware port-group

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 91 <<< only for ESXi management

no shutdown

system vlan 91

state enabled

==================================

Since both are on the same VLAN we just configure different IP addresses. Then on the ESXi we see...

Interface Port Group/DVPort IP Family IP Address Netmask Broadcast MAC Address MTU TSO MSS Enabled Type

vmk1 544 IPv4 192.168.91.91 255.255.255.0 192.168.91.255 XXX 1500 65535 true STATIC

vmk2 736 IPv4 192.168.91.99 255.255.255.0 192.168.91.255 XXX 1500 65535 true STATIC

Switch Name Num Ports Used Ports Configured Ports MTU Uplinks

vSwitch0 64 4 64 1500 vmnic0

vSwitch1 64 1 64 1500

DVS Name Num Ports Used Ports Configured Ports MTU Uplinks

MIVSM04sv1-51 256 15 256 1500 vmnic1

Let me know what do you think.

Thanks again for the help!

// Juan

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your config above should be fine. I've used a similar config before and just set it up again to be sure. Control will only be routed out the vmknic that is assigned to the vmk01-L3-vlan-91 port-profile.

louis

Juan Olivares
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for looking on this. I was looking for a Cisco best practice doc within L3 control but seems like nothing is written down yet... What should be a good approach?

Doing tests and emails from other alias we share the same opinion of having 1 vmk for mgmt and other vmk for L3 control, but this lead customer to create routes, vmks, vlans, IPs, etc.

We would like to keep this as simple as possible.

If creating two ESXi vmks on the same subnet is supported I think we can go for this implementation, if not what should be our Cisco recommendation?

Thanks again!

// Juan

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Juan,

It's fine to have two vmknics on the same subnet in different port-profiles. Your mgmt traffic will go through one port-profile and the control traffic through the other.

We are working on a best practices document with L3.

louis

tbleise
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Louis,

I have got one more question: according to the system management config guide "All VEMs must belong to the same Layer 2 domain."

What is meant by this? All VEM could use a different L3 Subnet and VLAN for connectivity to the VSM. Where is the "same Layer 2 domain" required?

Thanks!

Thorsten

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thorsten,

That's a great question and I had to ask internally what we meant with that statement. What we mean is the following...

"Even though the VSM and VEM are separated by a L3 network, the VSM & all the VEMs form one switch (hence on L2 domain)"

Hope that answers the question.

louis

tbleise
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Louis,

that indeed clarifies the question!

Thank you!

Thorsten

conleya
Level 1
Level 1

We have a VSM and VEM's installed on our internal network using L3 Control.  We are looking at expanding our installation to our DMZ.  Is it recommended to install a seperate VSM, or can we use the same VSM to control our VEM's in the DMZ through L3 Control?

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use the same VSM. You will need to open UDP port 4785 through your firewall but it should work.

Juan Olivares
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Louis,

Checking the Deployment Guide for N1000v it's recommended to move all VMware Interfaces to N1000v.

As far as I understand, in order to create a new vmknic for L3 control within the same subnet as the ESXi management, we should add both mvknics (management/L3 control) to the N1000v, right?

My questions are:

1. What if we need to keep the mgmt vmknic of the ESXi with the regular VMware vSwitch?

2. How can I keep the vmknic for ESXi management using the regular VMware vSwitch and create a new vmknic for L3 control using N1000v in the same subnet?

The main intention is to have sufficient arguments to move all vmknics to N1000v. For me, all interfaces within the N1000v the best and the easiest way.

Thanks again!

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Juan,

If you want to keep the managment vmknic connected to a vSwitch that is fine and supported.

All you have to do is create a new vmknic and make sure that the you do not check the "use as management interface box" That will prevent ESXi from forwarding managment traffic out that interface.

When you add the L3 vmknic for Nexus 1000V to the veth port-profile it only forwards control traffic out that interface.

Let us know if you run into any issues.

louis

Juan Olivares
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Louis,

Creating the vmk for L3 control and upload to the Nexus 1000v implies using a different ESXi vmnic, right? So we'll have vmnic0 for ESXi management (used by vSwitch) and vmnic1 for L3 control (used by N1000v).

If we have only 2 vmnics for Management/L3 control we'll not have redundancy for either Management or L3 control.

Sorry but asking basics but I would like to confirm options having only 2 vmnics. Customer is aware about losing communication with ESXi management in case VEM fails.

Thanks in advance!

// Juan

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Juan,

If you have only two physical NICs in the server then you are correct. One NIC would be assigned to the vSwitch and the second to the N1KV. You would have no redundancy or load balancing.

With only two NICs I would move everything to the Nexus 1000V. This will give you redundancy and load balancing. Just make sure to put your system vlan settings in all the right port-profiles. If your upstream switch does not support LACP use VPC Mac Pinning for the port-channel setting on the N1KV.

louis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: