Community Helping Community

UCS Service Profile Template creation

Views
Helpful
Comments
Advisor
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Neville George on 06-03-2013 01:38:12 PM
Has anyone created a service profile template using the powertool? I could not find a cmdlet or an example that shows how to perform the task.  I have automated most of the steps for Cisco UCS configuration but am missisng this piece. Any help is appreciated.

Subject: RE: New Message from Neville George in Unified Computing UCS Manager - Micr
Replied by: Bhaskar Jayakrishnan on 06-03-2013 01:43:18 PM
Neville,

The cmdlet is:
Add-UcsServiceProfile –Type initial-template <other parameters>
Or:
Add-UcsServiceProfile –Type updating-template <other parameters>

When in doubt, please use the ConvertTo-UcsCmdlet cmdlet to dump GUI operations as cmdlets. Please ensure that you follow the process outlined in the QuickStart guide when launching the GUI, when used with this cmdlet.

Thanks,
- bhaskar

From: Cisco Developer Community Forums [mailto:cdicuser@developer.cisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 1:08 AM
To: cdicuser@developer.cisco.com
Subject: New Message from Neville George in Unified Computing UCS Manager - Microsoft Discussions: UCS Service Profile Template creation

Neville George has created a new message in the forum "Microsoft Discussions": -------------------------------------------------------------- Has anyone created a service profile template using the powertool? I could not find a cmdlet or an example that shows how to perform the task.  I have automated most of the steps for Cisco UCS configuration but am missisng this piece. Any help is appreciated.
--
To respond to this post, please click the following link: or simply reply to this email.

Subject: RE: UCS Service Profile Template creation
Replied by: Neville George on 06-03-2013 03:04:34 PM
Fantastic. This is great. I used the Add-UcsServiceProfile previously for creating Service Profiles from template but glad to know that it will suffice for the templates too. 
The Convertto-UCSCmdlet is great but I cannot find which QuickStart guide you are referring to. I found the Powertool User Guid at the following link (http://developer.cisco.com/web/unifiedcomputing/pshell-download) but it did not mention anything on how to get it working successfully. 
I tried copying XML from the GUI to a file and running ConvertTo-UcsCmdlet -Xml –LiteralPath "$outputFilePath\1.xml"
It completed successfully with the output (WARNING: Please review the generated cmdlets before deployment) but there were no cmdlets in the output. Could you point me to the Quick start guide? Or if there is anything obvious I am missing. 

Replied by: Neville George on 06-03-2013 03:14:57 PM
I tried a simple script
############
$invocation  = (Get-Variable MyInvocation).Value
$outputFilePath  = Split-Path $invocation.MyCommand.Path
ConvertTo-UcsCmdlet -Xml -Request ' <orgOrg childAction="deleteNonPresent" descr="" dn="org-root/org-Test" fltAggr="0" level="1" name="Test"  > <powerPolicy childAction="deleteNonPresent" descr=""  intId="486088" name="default" operPrio="5" prio="5" rn="power-policy-default" /> <statsThresholdPolicy childAction="deleteNonPresent" descr=""  intId="486087" name="default" rn="thr-policy-default" /> </orgOrg>'
############
Output is just the below with nothing else:
WARNING: Please review the generated cmdlets before deployment.

Replied by: Eric Williams on 06-03-2013 05:03:31 PM
Neville George:
Fantastic. This is great. I used the Add-UcsServiceProfile previously for creating Service Profiles from template but glad to know that it will suffice for the templates too. 
The Convertto-UCSCmdlet is great but I cannot find which QuickStart guide you are referring to. I found the Powertool User Guid at the following link (http://developer.cisco.com/web/unifiedcomputing/pshell-download) but it did not mention anything on how to get it working successfully. 
I tried copying XML from the GUI to a file and running ConvertTo-UcsCmdlet -Xml –LiteralPath "$outputFilePath\1.xml"
It completed successfully with the output (WARNING: Please review the generated cmdlets before deployment) but there were no cmdlets in the output. Could you point me to the Quick start guide? Or if there is anything obvious I am missing. 

Neville:
WHen would you be available to have a webex, as it might be easiest to help you that way.  Feel free to reach out to me directly at ericwill@cisco.com
Thanks,
Eric

2 Comments
Beginner

Hi,

I work for Project Nephelo and I am trying to automate UCS configuration. My current need is to load an existing Service profile template into UCS from CLI so that It can be further used to create service profiles. If I am right, the only way of exporting a service profile template is using XML. So is there any way I can load a Service profile template saved as XML into UCS? 

@cdnadmin were you able to figure out command line for create the "service profile template" as your original request. not just the service profile. 

i am trying to automate our UCS configuration and part of that automation we configure all of the base policies(boot/Bios/kvm/vNicTemplate/vLans/etc..) but to tie everything together we need Service profile template to be created, which i am not able to find any reference online on how to perform using powertools cmdlets. 

It would be great if anyone can share there experience..!

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
FusionCharts will render here
This widget could not be displayed.