Views
Helpful
Replies

1000v Design & Conifg Feedback

mhasabal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

Please need your valuable feedback regarding Nexus1000v design. please see attached digram.

Will be using standalone server with 2 dual 10G to dual Nexus7000 for VM traffic, but using 1G connection for Nexus1000v management, vMotion but not connected direclty to the Nexus7000. instead it's going thru Cisco4948 switch.

I personally think it will work as long it's the same L2 domain.

quesiton is if it's a supported design?

thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mohammed,

There's a 100's of ways to design your Host's network connectivity.  You design is a valid one.

Some comments:

- Vmware used to require a dedicated 1G NIC for VMotion.  With the advent of 10G, this requirement has evolved.  VMotion is a very bursty & short lived transfer, which makes it ideal for a pair of 10G uplinks.  With the latest software (SV1.4) you can easily limit your VMotion traffic to use a percentage of your links total bandwidth, preventing any saturation of the links.  A suggestion is to limit your VMotion profile as low as 10% of the link speed (assuming 10G NICs are being used), which ensures your VM Data traffic will never be seriously impacted.

- For your Service Console/VMkernel management traffic, you didn't mention if you planned on running this traffic on the DVS or a standard vSwitch.  We've seen it done both ways, and both work equally week.  The advantage again of running your Management traffic on the 1000v is the Nexus can auto mark & police management traffic so you can easily assign a % of your link's speed - ensuring you always have Management access to your host.  Others prefer running their Management traffic on a vSwitch for a true "out of band" insurance.  Both options work, but the later requires extra vNICs dedicated to single roles.  The goal of 10G & consolidated ethernet is to reduce the amount of network connections from each host, rather than increase it.  This basically comes down to your personal comfort level & business requirements & policies.

If you have any other specific questions let me know.

Have a read through this doc regarding VMware & 10G.  It may shed some light on you design considerations.

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

thank you so much for your help.

1-the choice of having dedicated 1G for vMotion wasn't mine. I totally agree with you regarding using the 10G and to put a cap on the vMotion traffic as you mentioned.

2-the  Service Console/VMkernel management traffic will also be on the Nexus1000v

the question is:

can i have the  Service Console/VMkernel management traffic go thru another switch 4948 which will be trunked to the Nexus7000

while the VMs traffic use the 10G links.

if yes? are there any caveats?

Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from these Nexus 1000v e-mail threads?

I've already edited my profile many months ago and created e-mail rules to block these messages but for some reason, I cannot unsubscribe from these threads?

Can someone please let me know how to unsubscribe, I no longer need to receive any e-mails from any of you concerning Nexus 1000v?

Where is Han?  Can he help?

Thank you,

-Mr. Garza

Alonzo,

There are two places to disable email notifications.

From the thread you can go under the "Actions" section and select "Stop Email Notfications".

Go to your Preferences and Disable the two email notification options.

See the attached pics as a reference.

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

Thank you but I have already performed both of those actions about a year ago. The only reason I can think of is that I may have created a different username with my current e-mail address and I cannot remember what that was.

I guess I need to e-mail someone in tech support for this Nexus forum/discussions and have them search the database for any of my matching e-mails and then have them delete those old accounts.

Thanks for the pictures but I double-checked and already have all those settings set to "no" and to "not receive e-mail notifications".

Do you by any chance have an e-mail address for the moderator who can help me track down where my "other" CCO account is linked to my current e-mail address?

Thanks so much!

-Alonzo

I've sent you a private message with your CCO ID.

Robert

Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from these Nexus 1000v e-mail threads?

I've already edited my profile many months ago and created e-mail rules to block these messages but for some reason, I cannot unsubscribe from these threads?

Can someone please let me know how to unsubscribe, I no longer need to receive any e-mails from any of you concerning Nexus 1000v?

Where is Han?  Can he help?

Thank you,

-Mr. Garza

alonzo.garza
Level 1
Level 1

this is a test, please ignore...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: