cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1000v System VLANs - Clarity Requested

efairbanks
Level 1
Level 1

Could somebody please explain, or point me to a document that explains, the relationship between the system vlans defined within svs-domain and how they are applied to port-profiles?  Is there a relationship at all?  Or does the "system vlan" command under the port-profile just 'protect' the traffic?

Additionally (somewhat related, maybe), I am currently receiving the "duplicate VSM" message on my 1000v.  I have read that this can be caused by having multiple port-channels from a single ESX host to the physical switching fabric which causes a loop and the switch sees itself.  Unfortunately, multiple port-channels is part of our design and can't be modified.  Is there a way to mitigate this?

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Erik,

For your duplicate frames the following post should help you:

https://communities.cisco.com/thread/14915

Summary: You can surely have multiple port-channel for each host, however you need to make sure you configre the vlans accordingly on both the N1K as well as the upstream switch accordingly and have no overlaps. Also keep in mind the port-channel type configuration on either side.

As for the system VLAN: The VLANs under the svs-domain are the VLANs the system i.e. the N1K uses for communicating with the VSM for configuration and other details. The system VLAN configuration under the port-profiles is just to protect the VLANs. These VLANs are always up and forwarding on the VEM / ESX host even if there is no connectivity to the VSM.

In case you are not able to idntify the duplicate frame issue based on the above post, you can share you N1K configuration and we'll take a look at it.

./Abhinav

Abhinav,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Yeah, so my understanding of VLANs specified both under the sys-domain and port-profiles was correct (thanks for the confirmation).  I don't immediately see the loop in my system causing the duplicate VSM error.  However, I inherited this system from another engineer and and see some things that need to be cleaned up, which I plan to accomplish today.  If will follow-up with you (and the forum) when I am done.

Thanks again.

R/

Erik

Abhinav,

Found the problem.  The trunks connected to my ESX iSCSI interfaces were also being passed the control/system VLAN from the upstream 5010.  Once I pruned the VLANs from the trunks on the 5010s facing these ESX iSCSI interfaces, the "duplicate VSM" messages went away.

Many thanks for all of your help!

-Erik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: