Announcements

Community Helping Community

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

93180YC - Jumbo Frames

I feel I have configured this correctly but the interfaces are still showing 1500 MTU. First off, I know that the switch has a default system MTU of 9216. I did set that manually at first, but realized it wasn't necessary so I removed the configuration. I configured the following policy map:

policy-map type network-qos PM-JUMBO

class type network-qos class-default

mtu 9216

service qos

service-policy type network-qos  PM-JUMBO

I then see the system inform that this policy is now active. But checking the interface I still see it at 1500. If I manually set the MTU to 9216 it does reflect the change.

Not sure where I could be going wrong with this. It would appear that I have to set this manually for all ports which doesn't seem right to me. 

Also, I would like the same to be configured for the FEX I have hanging off of these 9Ks but I can't seem to find a global config option for this.

Thanks.

Everyone's tags (4)
6 REPLIES 6
Enthusiast

Re: 93180YC - Jumbo Frames

Beginner

This is the doc I used as a guide. I suppose that setting the policy map doesn’t apply for the 9Ks? Thanks for the link but that doesn’t seem to be working for me.
Enthusiast

I think the Nexus 9K supports only per port MTU and the configuration is as described in the doc.
I have configured the MTU as 9216 on an interface and it is working
Beginner

That’s kinda what I’m gathering as well. The thing that confuses me is the fact that there is a global MTU command that defaults to 9216. I suppose that just means that you are setting the max MTU globally but not actually setting the MTU, which is weird.

So then a follow up question is, what is the difference between setting the MTU on an SVI and setting the MTU on an interface. I know it is the difference between L2 and L3 but seems redundant.

Thanks!
Enthusiast

Configuring the MTU on the SVI is same as configuring it on any L3 interface. I think the following external links illustrates it very well. I am assuming the MTU configuration and characteristics specified for N7K would also apply to N9K
Contributor

Just came across this myself.  The explanation is likely specific to the 93180YC-EX line, as this switch is essentially a rebranded Nexus 5672 which itself is really a Nexus 6k

Jumbo Frames on Nexus 93180YC-EX, 5672UP, and perhaps others

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
FusionCharts will render here