cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Appropriate way to pin to manual sub-group with mac-pinning?

ryan.lambert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

Working through some specifics on our new 1KV deployment still, and I'm at the point where I have the following scenario:

Two iSCSI VLANs -

93 & 103

Each of these has a single port-profile that my 3 host servers use to create their VMK interfaces. I want to static pin one VLAN to a link, and have the second traverse the second uplink, so I effectively load-balance my iSCSI traffic.

I have 3 port-channels. 1 port-channel per server, 2 member links each:

Port-channel1 = server 1, Gig3/5, Gig3/8

Port-channel2 = server 2, Gig4/5, Gig4/8

Port-channel3 = server 3, Gig5/5, Gig5/8

My question is, can I use sub-group 0 & 1 for each pair of uplinks and specify "pinning id 0" and "pinning id 1" under my common vethernet port-profiles, or do I need to have sub-group 0/1 on po1, sub-group 2/3 on po2, and sub-group 4/5 on po3, and then create separate iSCSI port-profiles for each server that has the correct sub-group pinning ids?

Hope that makes sense. Made my head hurt typing it... just trying to get some clarification on the right way to do this.

Thanks!

15 Replies 15

estine
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Ryan -

You can use subgroup 0/1 for each pair of uplinks and then use static pinning to pin the traffic to either subgroup.  Static pinning can be configured on the vethernet port profile or under the vethernet interface config mode.  The command for this is "pinning id <subgroupID>"

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Liz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: