Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Between Nexus and IOS Stack

benolyndav
Level 4
Level 4

Hello

Please see attached, the x2 Nexus 5k Switches are configured has a VPC pair already VPC domain 10

I want to configure ibgp between the Nexus Switches and the IOS Sack, the IOS Stack is runing EBGP peering with ISP Router,

we have subnets Southbound of Nexus which I would like to advertise to the IOS Stack using IBGP

Ive been scratching my head with this lab and cant think of the best way to do this, ??? any help appreciated..

5 Replies 5

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @benolyndav 

Check the following link for requirement about routing over vpc:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-routing/118997-technote-nexus-00.html

Regards,

Sergiu

Hi

Thanks for that and I have seen it already TBH I dont understand it.

Thanks

Where do you have challenges?

Hi

The design really its ok setting these things up but I like to be sure its done properly

Questions

would i just use ibgp and add static routes to each others peer address, or would it be best to use an IGP for the routing for  BGP Peers,??

would i use a vpc or etherchannel ??

would i use FHRP ??

Pedroxh
Spotlight
Spotlight

Based on your topology, I find it interesting to perform the VPC between the Nexus and the hosts below it to optimize L2 between distribution-access. Between nexus 9k and Stack , you can configure any IGP among them, not necessarily iBGP.

You can configure a transit between each NXOS and SW-STACK and use an IGP of your choice to advertise the routes (remember to configure the redistribution between SW-STACK for the NXOS). An FRRP I would configure on the Nexus layer for the hosts along with the VPC I mentioned earlier.

More details of the routing perspective in VPC domains, I suggest this doc with Cisco's best practices

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

Best regards
******* If This Helps, Please Rate *******