Views
Helpful
Replies

Boundaries of a DVS

james21970
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Can someone clearly define the boudaries of a DVS with regard to vCenter?

Reason I ask, is because if we look at the configuration limitations for the 1000v, under vEthernet interfaces, it shows 2k per DVS, but we see that each VEM/Host can have up to 216..now i'm no math wizard, but if we can have up to 64 modules in an instance of the N1k, that tallies up to 13824 possible vEthernet interfaces total, so the limitation of 2k per DVS must mean that this DVS is somehow split up per host cluster in vCenter?

I'm just trying to find out where that boundry is defined. Maybe it's because I spend more time on the networking side versus the VM side.

Thanks,

James

2 Replies 2

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

James,

Sorry for the late reply. The maximum number of veth devices is 2k. It doesn't matter if you have 10 hosts or 64 hosts. The max is still 2k. The max you can have on a particular host is 216. If you have 10 ESXi hosts and you try to put the max of 216 on each host you will run out of veth ports. So 2k veth ports is your gating number.

We are working hard to increase the max veth ports and should have something in the near future that increases the number.

louis

Louis,

Thank you. At least now I know what's what. Hopeuflly that max increase will be avalable soon as you mention.

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: