cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we do Static Routing the Nexus 1000v?

renjithalways
Level 1
Level 1

Question1: Does Nexus 1000v has the option to do Static Routing?

Question2: Is there any alternatives are vavilable (with ACL security) to do Inter-VLAN communication without the help of External L3 Switch?

5 Replies 5

mipetrin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Renjith,

The Nexus 1000v is a layer 2 virtual access switch. It does NOT have routing capabilities. As a result, you cannot do static routing. Additionally, to perform something like Inter VLAN routing, you require the L3 forwarding capabilities (routing) found in an upstream device (eg: N7K or Cat6K).

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi,

If this feature is not available than why should we use this and make our esx environment more complicated. Normal and distributed (DVS) switching is available with server.

Nexus 1000v just like the VMware vSS and vDS are "switches" not "routers".  They don't have any Layer3 routing services.

Robert

I want to build a lab for testing with two esxi host connected to with physical switch cisco 500 series and having nexus 1000v and forwarding trafic to ISP modem-router. I dn't have any L3 capable switch. how can i do can u suggest any.

Hi Sanjay,

you can use Cisco ASA 1000V as routing and firewalling device. or even CRS 1000V, but it does ony 50Mb throughput.

link to ASA 1000V software - http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284145419&flowid=34502&softwareid=280775065&release=8.7.1.4.SMP.ED&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

you need licence in order to use ASA. i think for testing, Cisco supports evaluation period

hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: