cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Choosing VXLAN-EVPN over MPLS L3VPN

George-Sl
Level 1
Level 1

Although VXLAN-EVPN is mostly used in datacenters, in what circumstances you would go for MPLS for the service provider customer instead of VXLAN?(specifically when you already have appliances that are VTEP capable like asr 95xx, so you don't need to make additional Nexus purchases)

image.png

with all the features that VXLAN has to offer including

• inter-site(multi) extension
  • Low networking requirements(Not all devices on the entire network are required to support VXLAN)
  • Layer 4 – Layer 7 network services insertion,

are there any advantages to go with MPLS, or a particular case scenario where MPLS offers something that VXLAN doesn't?

Thx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @George-Sl 

It's quite difficult (at least for me) to find advantages of MPLS over VXLAN, but one thing which comes to my mind is scalability.

Of course, this is purely hardware dependent, and not protocol related, but I was just comparing Nexus vs ASR in terms of scalability values.

EDIT: Oh by the way, not sure if you own or not the IP addresses from your diagram, but regardless, you should be careful about posting public IP addresses in a public visible forum.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @George-Sl 

It's quite difficult (at least for me) to find advantages of MPLS over VXLAN, but one thing which comes to my mind is scalability.

Of course, this is purely hardware dependent, and not protocol related, but I was just comparing Nexus vs ASR in terms of scalability values.

EDIT: Oh by the way, not sure if you own or not the IP addresses from your diagram, but regardless, you should be careful about posting public IP addresses in a public visible forum.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

right thx ;), that was just an example of a valid space, I don't own it.

I guess in compare to VXLAN, MPLS is quite obsolete, I was just doughtful, btw there is a typo in that pic, we have 2 ASR 9906s. I gotta check the VXLAN limitations on ASR 99xx series.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: