Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3164 Spine with not ACI infrastructure

iboluda
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,

Is it possible to use Cisco 3164 as a Spine with NXOS 9 without using ACI? I know that if we use ACI at least we have to use nexus 9000 series.

Thanks in advance

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ss1
Beginner
Beginner

Dear iboluda,

This is what we were doing for 4 years. N3K-C3164Q used for spine towards N9K-C9396PX. It was working okay as a spine. We were having switchports with trunk traffic and routerports for our VXLAN underlay and I don't recall of any issues caused by the switch. 

You may want to ensure the spine is only working as a spine (i.e. only routing OSPF and PIM for the underlay) and not mixing VPC + PIM + OSPF + VTEP interface etc. I was even having VTEPs on VPC nodes which had been OSPF routers and anycast-rp's for the underlay and there were multiple issues indeed, however, as soon as I separated the spine function on different devices, all issues disappeared right away.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ss1
Beginner
Beginner

Dear iboluda,

This is what we were doing for 4 years. N3K-C3164Q used for spine towards N9K-C9396PX. It was working okay as a spine. We were having switchports with trunk traffic and routerports for our VXLAN underlay and I don't recall of any issues caused by the switch. 

You may want to ensure the spine is only working as a spine (i.e. only routing OSPF and PIM for the underlay) and not mixing VPC + PIM + OSPF + VTEP interface etc. I was even having VTEPs on VPC nodes which had been OSPF routers and anycast-rp's for the underlay and there were multiple issues indeed, however, as soon as I separated the spine function on different devices, all issues disappeared right away.  

Thank you ss1,

We want to test an environment with Cisco N3K-C3164Q as leaf and spine so I really appreciate your answer.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: