cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 9364C-GX ACI default leaf mode

chenbs
Level 1
Level 1

I am deploying a new ACI fabric. We are using Nexus 9364C-GX as spine switches. I am unable to discover anything past the first leaf (which the apics are connected to) because the 9364C-GX can operate as both leaf and spine and by default it is operating as a leaf. Leaf to leaf connections are not allowed with ACI. How do I change the mode to spine ?:

When I use the "show discoveryissues" command i get:

The node type is – LEAF

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Sergiu,

It worked as we discussed. I temporarily patched the leaf's that have the apics to the fabric ports (63-64) on the spine. The Nexus 9364C-GX were then discovered by the APICS. I then registered them as spines and they rebooted as spines. Once they were active again in the APIC, I moved the ports connected to the leafs from the discovery ports back to the original ports and reloaded the spines again. They came back up as Spines so all good.

Many thanks for your input

Byron Chen

View solution in original post

Nice! Happy to hear it worked. Make sure you mark the solution to this thread, so people will find the answer quickly.

Take care,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @chenbs 

What version do you run? Based on the config guide, if you have at least ACI 5.1.3, for the hw model you have, the switch should be visible in the discovery and you should be able to choose the running mode during registration.

Screenshot 2022-05-13 200851.png

If you do not see it, try preprovision the switch manually and set it's role as spine. I believe this should work. 

Cheers,

Sergiu

Hi Sergiu,

Many thanks for your reply. I am using aci-n9000-dk9.15.1.3e.bin. My issue may be because I am using ports 1-16 from the Nexus 9364C-GX and not the required ports below. 

• Spine discovery via leaf – Connect a discovered leaf to one of the default fabric links (63-64) then convert the switch to spine (reboot is required).

The switch is not visible during discovery and I do not get an option to choose the switch role even after reboot as I have console access

On the Nexus 9364C which is fixed as spine only, you can use any ports as you cannot change the mode. It would be a shame if I have to use the ports from highest to lowest just to get the Nexus 9364C-GX to work as a spine switch

Oh ok, I get it now. So basically you have to first discover the switch via it's fabric ports (63-64) and then register as spine, and after reboot you should be able to use any ports (as it is a spine so all ports are fabric ports).

Have you tried it?

Sergiu

Hi Sergiu,

Good question. I will go back to site this coming week so I will try it and let you know. I may just move the ports connected to the

Leaf switches that have the APICS attached to see what happens. Once the switch changes to a spine, the other ports connected to the other leaf switches will not matter

Thank you so much for responding so quickly

Byron

With pleasure. Looking forward for the test results.

Cheers,

Sergiu

Hi Sergiu,

It worked as we discussed. I temporarily patched the leaf's that have the apics to the fabric ports (63-64) on the spine. The Nexus 9364C-GX were then discovered by the APICS. I then registered them as spines and they rebooted as spines. Once they were active again in the APIC, I moved the ports connected to the leafs from the discovery ports back to the original ports and reloaded the spines again. They came back up as Spines so all good.

Many thanks for your input

Byron Chen

Nice! Happy to hear it worked. Make sure you mark the solution to this thread, so people will find the answer quickly.

Take care,

Sergiu