cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

command ethernet-segment not available on Nexus NX-OSv 10.3(2)

DennisDammers
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to add a ethernet-segment command under a interface, but the switch doesn't recognize the command. 

LEAF1.AMS3(config-if)# ethernet-segment 1907
^
% Invalid command at '^' marker.
LEAF1.AMS3(config-if)#
LEAF1.AMS3(config-if)# system-mac 0000.0000.1907
^
% Invalid command at '^' marker.

I have the following features active

feature ngmvpn
nv overlay evpn
feature ospf
feature bgp
feature fabric forwarding
feature interface-vlan
feature vn-segment-vlan-based
feature lacp
feature lldp
feature nv overlay

enabled: 

evpn esi multihoming
 vlan-consistency-check

Anyone has had the same issue? 

Thanks in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dennis!

EVPN Multi-Homing is only supported on first-generation Nexus switches (model numbers tend to end in either TX or PX). This feature is not supported on next-generation Nexus switches that utilize Cisco's Cloud Scale ASIC (model numbers tend to end in -EX, -FX, -FX2, -FX3, -GX, etc.). Quoting the "Guidelines and Limitations" heading of the "Configuring Multi-Homing" chapter of the Cisco Nexus 9000 Series NX-OS VXLAN Configuration Guide document:

"EVPN multi-homing is only supported on first generation Cisco Nexus 9300 platform switches. It is not supported on Cisco Nexus 9200 witches nor on Cisco Nexus 9300-EX switches (and newer models)."

The first-generation series of Nexus switches is not supported in NX-OS 10.x or later software releases; the last NX-OS software release train that supports this series of Nexus switches is the 9.3(x) train. Since you are running Nexus 9300v 10.3(2), this feature has been outright removed from this particular software release (since it does not work on any version of Nexus hardware that would run on that software release).

If you downgrade the version of Nexus 9300v that you're using to the latest NX-OS software release in the 9.3(x) train, you may find that these commands parse out. However, EVPN Multi-Homing is not listed as a supported feature for the Nexus 9000v in this software train, so I would not put a lot of faith into any results you see when testing on this particular version of software.

I hope this is helpful - thank you!

-Christopher

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dennis!

EVPN Multi-Homing is only supported on first-generation Nexus switches (model numbers tend to end in either TX or PX). This feature is not supported on next-generation Nexus switches that utilize Cisco's Cloud Scale ASIC (model numbers tend to end in -EX, -FX, -FX2, -FX3, -GX, etc.). Quoting the "Guidelines and Limitations" heading of the "Configuring Multi-Homing" chapter of the Cisco Nexus 9000 Series NX-OS VXLAN Configuration Guide document:

"EVPN multi-homing is only supported on first generation Cisco Nexus 9300 platform switches. It is not supported on Cisco Nexus 9200 witches nor on Cisco Nexus 9300-EX switches (and newer models)."

The first-generation series of Nexus switches is not supported in NX-OS 10.x or later software releases; the last NX-OS software release train that supports this series of Nexus switches is the 9.3(x) train. Since you are running Nexus 9300v 10.3(2), this feature has been outright removed from this particular software release (since it does not work on any version of Nexus hardware that would run on that software release).

If you downgrade the version of Nexus 9300v that you're using to the latest NX-OS software release in the 9.3(x) train, you may find that these commands parse out. However, EVPN Multi-Homing is not listed as a supported feature for the Nexus 9000v in this software train, so I would not put a lot of faith into any results you see when testing on this particular version of software.

I hope this is helpful - thank you!

-Christopher

DennisDammers
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your answer, but now it's not totally clear to me how i should multi-home servers to my spine/leaf vxlan solution. Should this be done by Vpc? 

Hi Dennis,

Correct, one should use vPC to dual-home hosts in a VXLAN BGP EVPN solution that leverages Cisco Nexus switches. Nemanja Kamenica's Cisco Live session BRKDCN-2249 serves as a good primer to both vPC and its interactions in a VXLAN fabric. In your research, you may come across the Fabric Peering feature - Lukas Krattiger has a solid blog post on this feature and how it operates in a VXLAN fabric.

Thank you!

-Christopher

jpsuuronen
Level 1
Level 1

I hope Cisco brings back the EVPN ESI Multihoming support for the NX-OS and to their new Cloud-Scale ASIC based switches. The ESI was already implemented on the Broadcom chipset devices. I can understand the benefits of supporting vPC multihoming design and the fabric enabled version of it surely is a good feature, but EVPN ESI also has its benefits and allows more flexible multihoming setups than vPC. It would be nice to use all NX-OS devices in the DC Fabric rather than use Catalyst based switches on the leafs just to support EVPN ESI.