Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring vPC Nexus 3548-X L3 Switch

Ahmad Saad4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We've got two data centers that will be connected over 2x10G links, and we're deploying L3 vSAN Stretched Clusters 

(2x Clusters with 4 hosts node in each cluster)) across the two DCs.

We are adding 4 nexus 3548-X switches to the existing network, and due to some issues with STP in the existing network, we opt to configure the 2x10G links as L3 and not L2 .Also, both nexus 3K at each site will be configured as  vPC and uplinked them to the core switch.

I've got few questions if someone could help please .

From the attached diagram :

- What's the best way to configure and utilise the 2x10G links as L3 ? (separate L3 links) ?Is it better use SVI?  I'm thinking to run OSPF (if they were L2, I would configure them as back-to-back vPC)

-If I want to configure each pair of N3K as L3 switch, shall I use the existing peer-link and configure it as L3 (layer 3 peer-router), or shall I use a dedicated non-vPC link between N3K and run OSPF? can someone refer me to a link for guidelines please 

1 Reply 1

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Ahmad Saad4 

Here is my feedback for your queries:

What's the best way to configure and utilise the 2x10G links as L3 ?

To avoid any interference with vPC (like allowing or not the vlan over Peer-Link, configure the SVI as exclude for vpc failure scenarios etc), I would suggest to configure them as no switchports.

If I want to configure each pair of N3K as L3 switch, shall I use the existing peer-link and configure it as L3 (layer 3 peer-router), or shall I use a dedicated non-vPC link between N3K and run OSPF?

"layer 3 peer-router" only works for vpc vlans, meaning you should enable this feature if you plan on running the routing on SVIs.

I would suggest you go over these two documents:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-routing/118997-technote-nexus-00.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf (this is written for 7k, but the theory applies for all Nexus switches).

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: