Views
Helpful
Replies

DCNM moving a switch to another fabric

Patrick Colbeck
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

I have come across an issue with DCNM and moving a switch to a different fabric.

We are building a second fabric that will be linked to the first via a DCI with EVPN. At the moment we don't have the leaf switches for the second fabric so have borrowed a couple from the original fabric that were being used for test severs (with the idea of putting them back or replacing with new leaves when we get them)

We put the switches in fabric 1 that we wanted to borrow in maintenance mode in DCNM then unplugged them, did a write erase and gave them new OOB IP addresses and hosts names.

Now when I try and discover them in  fabric 2 (the new fabric) it sees them on the initial discovery window but then it goes weird and just tries to discover them forever. They appear in the map of the fabric but with IP addresses not names and you cant deploy to them, its says they are "null0" switches.

The overview topology of the entire site of fabrics also shows that fabric 2 is connected to fabric 1 through these leaf switches like they were still part of fabric 1 though their serial numbers are marked as "maintenance mode" in the inventory for fabric 1.

I thought maintenance mode disassociated the switch config from the serial number so it could be RMAed but it appears not.

Is there a way of freeing up these switches so they can be part of fabric 2 cleanly or am I going to have delete them from fabric 1 then when I get new leaf switches deploy them from scratch rather than just give them the same OOB IP and bring them out of maintenance mode ?

This is DCNM 11.4.1 btw.

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: