cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do not see second host to add to DVS

zahkhan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have one ESX host successfully added in and connected to DVS.

When I right click to DVS to add a host, I do not see my second VShphere host. Both machines were deployed in exacltly the same manner. All needed vlans are created.

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you confirm a couple things:

1. Does the ESX server not showing up have an available vmnic?  If your host has no free vmnics (that aren't assigned to a vswitch) you might not see it as being available to add to your DVS.

2. Are you using a trial license for vCenter or a regular?  The license type must be Enterprise + to utilize the DVS.  Since you've added one host already I wouldn't think this would be the cause.

3.  What version of ESX are you running?  ESX/ESXi?

Let me know these details and I'll troubleshoot further with you.

Regards,

Robert

The VM host not showing up has VMNIC1 assigned to vswitch2 with control, packet and data vlans. Is it not supposed to be that way? Atleast my host that got added had the same setup.

I am running vsphere 4 enterprise licensed version. This is for the host that I cannot see in the list.

The host that got added has a demo version.

Zahoor

Sure enough when I reverted back the host to 'demo version' license, I can see it to be added to DVS.

So, what license do I need? Enterprise does not seem to provide me profiles.

Thanks

Hi Zahoor,

Enterprise plus is required for Nexus1000v.

See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0/install/software/guide/install_n1000v.html

"The VMware Enterprise Plus license must already be installed on the hosts."

Thanks,

Michael.

Edit: Yes, there's already a DDTS open to display a message if enterprise plus isn't installed when trying to add the host in the 'add host to dvs' dialog box.