cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enhanced VPC Dual Home Actual link speed?

Aaron_un
Level 1
Level 1

benefits of Enhanced VPC Dual Home of 5Ks and 2Ks includes redundancy and port channel across the FEXes, but I have a question specifically on the bandwidth speed...

image.png

if you look at this topology, which all the black links are 40Gb/s QSFP-SR4

is the speed of going from Point A to Point B in this fabric model(Enhanced Dual Homed VPC) 160Gb/s or 80Gb/s? in other word are we using all the 4 uplinks simultaneously and the 5k interchassis links to reach to point B? and that means 80%(128Gb/s), 90%(144Gb/s) or close to 100% link utilization speed?

and the last question(different question) if I have VLANs I don't need to use GLBP since the traffic is distributed on fabrics even at the layer 2 level and not just when it reaches the gateways I presume, so HSRP can achieve the same on fabrics?

2 Replies 2

Dawei
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For Q1,

I assume Point B is an orphan port or a layer3 link, the answer is YES. To N2K, the uplink is a port-channel, so the traffic will be hash to those ports. Half of the packets are hashed to the left N5K and then forwarded to the right N5K via peer-link to point B.

For Q2,

In vPC environment, both HSRP active and standby are forward the traffic, NO GLBP required, and just HSRP and VRRP can be used.

One thing which I would like to add on top of what Dawei mentioned: the configured load balancing algorithm is also very important to ensure a fair distribution of traffic. For more details about it I would suggest to read this: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5600/sw/interfaces/7x/b_5600_Interfaces_Config_Guide_Release_7x/config_port_channels.html#con_1207090

Stay safe,

Sergiu