cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ERROR OTV: AED-CAPABLE NO EXTENDED VLAN OPERATIONALLY UP - AFTER UPGRADE IOS

felipeanderson
Level 1
Level 1

We have a scenario with 3 switches Nexus 7K, topology attached run OTV between them, topology Multi-Homing. Everything is working.

We need to UPGRADE IOS in the Nexus 7006 that is located in the site-vlan from 7.2 to 8.3 version IOS. After UPGRADE in one switch Nexus, we have a problem with AED vlans extended. All adjacencies UP.

I would like to know if the Nexus needs to be with the same IOS when used in multi-homing or there are any Bugs?

9 Replies 9

Andrea Testino
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Felipe,

Could you share the output to the following commands:

show system reset-reason
show logging log | i i otv
show logging nvram | i i otv
show otv isis adjacency
show otv vlan
show otv site
show span vlan 1
show run vlan 1
show run interface vlan 1
show run otv
show interface vlan 1
show ip interface vlan 1

Please type them exactly as shown above. I have a behavior in mind but need to confirm with your configuration.

Thanks!

- Andrea, CCIE #56739 R&S

Hi Andrea, I will provide the outputs, but we aren´t using vlan 1.

Felipe,

I understand. It's a bit more complex than that and there's a reason why Im asking for VLAN 1 specifically.

Starting in 7.3(x), an SVI is created by default for VLAN 1 (whether you are using it or not or ever configured it manually). What happens unfortunately is certain deployments have "otv extend-vlan 1, x-y" under their Overlay configuration in the OTV VDC. When this condition is true, the Overlay configuration for OTV will fail to execute altogether causing ALL VLANs to be impacted and not be extended.

With the commands I've requested I want to a) verify whether your OTV VDC has extended VLAN 1 under the Overlay configuration and b) See if there's an SVI created for VLAN 1 by default (assuming the chassis is still in the 8.3(x) NX-OS version).

I'll check once you share the outputs. Hope that makes more sense.

Thanks!

Fine, I am collecting the outputs.

Andrea, requests outputs attached.

Andrea I forgot to mention that I did rollback at the version after Error.

Felipe,

Thank you. I did not see VLAN 1 as part of your "otv extend-vlan" command under the Overlay so this is not CSCvb28788 which is what I had in mind.

Since you've rolled back, there wont be much in the logs that is meaningful. I did check for OTV defects in 8.3(x) but without further data points, it would be tough to diagnose one.

My recommendation would be to open a TAC case proactively prior to your next upgrade attempt and call in if you run into any issues again so Cisco TAC can troubleshoot live. The following show techs should be collected from the OTV VDC at a minimum as soon as you see the problem (grab them while its broken, makes it easier for TAC to attempt root cause that way):

show tech otv > bootflash:$(SWITCHNAME)-otv.txt
show tech details > bootflash:$(SWITCHNAME)-techdet.txt
show tech lim > bootflash:$(SWITCHNAME)-ilm.txt
show tech oim > bootflash:$(SWITCHNAME)-oim.txt

Hope that helps!

Thanks of the support.

With this new image try two things

1. Ensure that there is no SVI that is active on the OTV VDC.

2. Try re-applying the OTV overlay config.

This worked for me. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: