Views
Helpful
Replies

Error "no management network redundancy" on HA Cluster

vpert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

we get a error message above even we've connected 2 physical nic's to the Service Console port profile.

We know there is a HA adv. setting to switch of this message, but we wonder if there is a solution to this rather then a "work-araound".

Tom

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This message can be safely ignored. However, to prevent this message and to comply with proper network redundancy, VMware recommends that you add a second service console on a different vSwitch and subnet.

To suppress this message on hosts not configured in a VMware High Availability (HA) cluster, set the VMware HA advanced option das.ignoreRedundantNetWarning to true.
If the warning appears for a host already configured in a cluster, set the option advanced option das.ignoreRedundantNetWarning to true and reconfigure VMware HA on that host.
Note: If the warning continues to appear, disable and re-enable VMware High Availability in the cluster. 
To set das.ignoreRedundantNetWarning to true:
  1. From VMware Infrastructure Client, right-click on the cluster and select Edit Settings.
  2. Select VMware HA and click Advanced Options.
  3. In the Options column, enter das.ignoreRedundantNetWarning.
  4. In the Value column, enter true.

Note: Steps 3 and 4 create a new option.
  5. Click OK.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks for your answer.

Where did you find the explanation how to prevent this "Warning"?

Because normaly this Warning only comes up if there is just one physical NIC attached to the local vSwitch with Service Console port group. This Warning disapears as soon the is a second physical NIC add this vSwitch. I do not remember we had to add a second Service Console on a different subnet. Actually this is what is mentioned in the VMware KB http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1004700:

"However, to prevent this message and to comply with proper network redundancy, VMware recommends that you add a second service console on a different vSwitch and subnet. Alternatively, you can add a second vmnic to the service console vSwitch."

I could find any KB on vSphere and/or about the Nexus 1000V.

So I figured this Warning is a "false positiv" because we've two physical NIC configured as a vPC on the Nexus 1000V and therefor a redundant network connectivity for the Service Console. If someone form Cisco and/or VMware could confirm this or let us know how we can prevent this Warning other than "safely ignorning", thanks.

Tom

That was taken from the VMware KB. If I remember correctly I think I saw this same message in our lab, it can safely be ignored.  I'll follow up with our development teams and find out if this is a cosmetic bug, and see if I can find out with which upcoming release it will be resolved.

When you modified your SC adapters, did you try to disable & re-enable HA?

Robert

Hi Robert,

thx so far - I'm really wondering what the Dev ist saying.

What do you mean by "modified you SC adapter" - we moved the Service Console with the "Add new virtual Adapter" - "existing Adapter" Function.

We've added the adv. Option "das.ignoreRedundantNetWarning" and did disable/enable the HA on the cluster. The error message is now "disabled" - this part worked fine.

But this is just a "workaround" not the solution - at least in our point of view.

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: