Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressroute Direct and Macsec

trondaker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Anyone ever get Macsec towards Azure up and running? We have a IOS-XE-switch, and followed the configuration guide for Macsec with PSK here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/iosxr/ncs5500/security/62x/b-system-security-cg-ncs5500-62x/b-system-security-cg-ncs5500-62x_chapter_0101.html#concept_gjz_ysl_vcb

The second we enable "macsec network-link" toward azure, the line-protocol goes down, and show mka summary says the link is in Init-mode. Nothing happens after that, and can see no packets from the other end with debugs. Problem is Microsoft Azure-guys have had a look, and everything looks good on their end. Ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Azure uses Juniper box - had to enable sci on Juniper
Cause:

In this situation, the 'include-sci' is 'yes' by default on the Cisco switch, while it is optional for Juniper.
Solution:

Add 'include-sci' on the Juniper Router MACSEC configuration as follows:

#set security macsec connectivity-association connectivity-association-name include-sci

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Jason Leschnik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm a bit of a novice at cloud connectivity but who/how are you getting connectivity into Azure? Are you peering with them directly or via. some third party like Megaport?

Regards,

Jason.

Microsoft offers a direct connection called Expressroute Direct, and on that type of connection you can get macsec. Just not quite sure how to troubleshoot this when i dont have control of the other end. Cant see anything in the logs relating to wrong PSK or anything like that, what else can i do on my end to troubleshoot?

So with this you get a direct circuit to Azure like they physically give you a cable/handoff? So it's L1 all the way to their service?

Yup

mdshohel.dewan
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, 

Did anyone find any resolution with this?

Not yet, still an ongoing case with ms-support. They seem to have found some issues on their end, but were not rocking macsec yet :( Ill update as soon as we get a cause.

Well, I am trying run MACSEC TO AZURE Express Router. Connection overview is AZURE CIRCUIT---> Nexus 9K ---> ASR1000 Router. Cisco ASR1000 Router running MACSEC however appear that having issue as Init Stage.

So this is a WAN Macsec implementation then? Is that supported in MS with the 802.1Q header in the clear, or have i misunderstood your setup?

jrenaudi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello. I'm interested to have a status on this topic. Is it finally working?

No, we have the session up, but not actually forwarding traffic. This is just a weird issue, but hopefully we are having a maintenance window this week, will update at that point.

Azure uses Juniper box - had to enable sci on Juniper
Cause:

In this situation, the 'include-sci' is 'yes' by default on the Cisco switch, while it is optional for Juniper.
Solution:

Add 'include-sci' on the Juniper Router MACSEC configuration as follows:

#set security macsec connectivity-association connectivity-association-name include-sci

Thanks for your suggestion, have fired it off to Microsoft now, and we will try in the next maintenance window (has taken forever this )

Hi @trondaker. I was wondering if this was resolved for you. Were the Microsoft guys able to configure this and did it solve your problem? 

Hi @leon.teheux - yea, MS engineering enabled SCI on their end and everything worked as expected. Cisco confirmed that they do not have an option to disable on their end.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: