cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FEX on 5ks bootup process

Hulk8647
Level 1
Level 1

We're moving DCs. My question is, can I power on my 5ks and 2ks FEXs simultaneously or should I power on the 5Ks first and then power on the FEXs?

15 Replies 15

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this is green Field deployment, you need to Power on 5K and deploy the configuration for vPC, and then FEX configuration.

Then connect the FEX links to FEX device and power the FEX devices, so it will bootup with the image and provision correction.

configuration reference guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/layer2/503_n2_1/503_n2_1nw/Cisco_n5k_layer2_config_gd_rel_503_N2_1_chapter17.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Assuming that you are moving an existing environment to a different location, it does not matter if you power them together or power the 2k later. The devices will come online after they fully power up and connected.

However, if you are replacing any of the parents switch things may change drastically.

If it is a greenfield deployment as mentioned by Balaji, I totally agree with his suggestion.

I hope it answered your question.

Thanks 

@tuyuq7861 wrote:

Assuming that you are moving an existing environment to a different location, it does not matter if you power them together or power the 2k later. The devices will come online after they fully power up and connected.

However, if you are replacing any of the parents switch things may change drastically.

If it is a greenfield deployment as mentioned by Balaji, I totally agree with his suggestion.

I hope it answered your question.

Thanks 

Hi ,

Regarding replacing the parent switch (N5K) with new & latest NX-OS version. What is procedure ?

Does new N5K will detect the NX-OS version on N2K is not identical with it, and N5K will auto upload new NX-OS to all N2K then reload the N2K ?

I need to replace a pair of old C5020 with new C5672UP. 

N2K is single home to N5K. During upgrade , the uplink of N2K current at old N5K will move to new N5K.

we got new network diagram, what is the concerns here to address ?

BB

Network attached shown current physical connection from N2K to N5K (C5020).

Below the C5020 N5K switch is new C5672UP switch.

Plan is to migrate the connectivity from old N5K to new N5K.

When moving the N2K connection to new N5K that run on new version of NX-OS.

I believe N2K might need to update it software/firware too.

My question is when moving the N2K link from old N5K to new N5K , what is steps require ?

Thanks.

In your case you need to have downtime.

Moving Forward you need to re-design connectivity between new 5K and Old 2K, make sure you have Dual Home connected to it easy for you later upgrades. and high availability.

Steps :

1. configure new 5K same as old switch config.

2. add new config with dual homed FEX

3. move one FEX at a time to new 5K ( with agreed downtime) - if the new 5K have new firmware, the FEX will automatically upgrade when they connect to new 5K.

4. Make sure both the new 5K have identical config in related to FEX.

5. Shutdown Old Device FEX connection, Move the New fibers to new Switch ( best way is lay new Fibre Patches from new 5K to FEX, then on the change window, remove old fibers from FEX and connect newly laid Fibers and test it).

hope this information helps you.

BB

Some questions need your advice:
a) FEX will automatically upgrade without any additonal command or configuration ?
b) FEX will auto reboot it self after upgrade.
c) If the FEX is connect back to old N5K switch (in case fallback) , will FEX downgrade it self back to old software?

"" 3) move one FEX at a time to new 5K ( with agreed downtime) - if the new 5K have new firmware, the FEX will automatically upgrade when they connect to new 5K.""

Thanks.

check my below comments :

a) FEX will automatically upgrade without any additonal command or configuration ?

BB - yes as soon as they connect to Parent switch they will start upgrade.
b) FEX will auto reboot it self after upgrade. 

BB - yes they reboot ? ( if required)
c) If the FEX is connect back to old N5K switch (in case fallback) , will FEX downgrade it self back to old software?

BB - Parent Swtich controls FEX all the time.

"" 3) move one FEX at a time to new 5K ( with agreed downtime) - if the new 5K have new firmware, the FEX will automatically upgrade when they connect to new 5K.""

BB - Parent 5K does all things for you, 

Another suggestion if you are concerned and worried. Free up one of FEX moving the Kit to Other FEX.

So you have 1 Free FEX Play with so you get more confident, once you done 1 FEX, rest will be easy for you.

As long as parent Switch configured correctly, does not matter how you move the FEX old or new.

make sense ?

BB

Just adding few additional steps to consider,

1. You must pre-provision all FEX prior to migration.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/system_management/502_n1_1/b_Cisco_n5k_system_mgmt_cg_rel_502_n1_1/Cisco_n5k_system_mgmt_cg_rel_502_n1_1_chapter4.html

2. After pre-provisioning the FEX with exact same model, you will see FEX ports on 5K without connecting 2Ks.

3. At this point you can configure 2K ports to match your old configs

Hope this helps

akdhingr
Level 1
Level 1

As long as 5ks are down 2ks will be down, in order for 2k to be "online" 5k should be up. Power on 2k first so that they are ready to forward the traffic once 5k comes up.

BR

Ak

As long as 5ks are down 2ks will be down, in order for 2k to be "online" 5k should be up. Power on 2k first so that they are ready to forward the traffic once 5k comes up.

Not really if they are dual homed to 2x  5K.

BB

True, but since they are moving the DCs they would be moving both N5ks as well, not just one.

BR

Ak

Jason Leschnik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You mentioned you're just moving your DC, so I would assume you're just going to "copy run start" shut everything down then move. In that case it doesn't really matter what order you bring up the switches 5k and FEX 2k. The Nexus 2k will boot up just like any normal device and wait for a parent switch to come online.

The FEX once booted up will just patiently wait for a parent to respond to it's SDP (Satellite Discovery Protocol). There is no real order of operations here. For instance in our TAC lab we have 2k not plugged into any parent switch which just sit their all days waiting for a parent. After attaching to a parent, configuring the interface as a fabric and associating the FEX it will either up straight up (if on the correct code) or transfer the image to itself from the parent, then proceed to reload and come up. 

HTH

Hi All,

I have the same issue but I need to move the FEX to my leafs from Brownfield to greenfield , If I configure the port in ACI  , do I have just unplug and plug since it is dumb box FCOE as well.

Let me know