Views
Helpful
Replies

Host as a BGP speaker in VXLAN

andriyy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts, 

Can host connected to the VXLAN access network establish a BGP with a VTEP switch ? Or more general, can hosts participate in the dynamic routing ? If this is possible , would you refer me to the docs or design guide describing such scenario ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@andriyy wrote:

...  if host ( in my case router ) can inject routing information.

So basically you have a router, not a host. ^_^

If I understand correctly, you want to exchange routing information with a VTEP (a border leaf to be more precise) using BGP. You can look at this config guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/pf/configuration/guide/b-pf-configuration/External-Connectivity-VRF-Lite.html 

Hope it helps,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Can you be more specific what are you trying to achieve? Do you want to extend vxlan to a hypervisor VTEP?

Cheers,

Sergiu

f00z
Level 1
Level 1

This is possible if the hosts are connected to the underlay network (i.e. layer 3 interface on the leaf) and participate in the IGP , and then the host itself (hypervisor) will run its own VTEP and peer with the route reflectors with BGP EVPN AF.

If the host is connected to the overlay network, by default it can't access the underlay (and you don't want it to for security). 

Would need more info on what you are trying to accomplish.

Thank you fz00. However what Im trying to understand if host ( in my case router ) can inject routing information. Assuming the VTEP also a part of the underlay domain. To illustrate my question - 

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 3.02.58 PM.png

@andriyy wrote:

...  if host ( in my case router ) can inject routing information.

So basically you have a router, not a host. ^_^

If I understand correctly, you want to exchange routing information with a VTEP (a border leaf to be more precise) using BGP. You can look at this config guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/pf/configuration/guide/b-pf-configuration/External-Connectivity-VRF-Lite.html 

Hope it helps,

Sergiu

Thank you Sergiu 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: