cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I download Nexus 1000v Essential?

da12ask01
Level 1
Level 1

This seems really basic, but I'm not getting anywhere.  Trying to download 1000v Essential which is supposed to be free, but I'm sent to the software page and it claims I need "additional entitlement". 

How can I download 1000v?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It sounds like from more investigation you would need the nexus 1000v support contract to download this, based on what you are telling me that appears to hold true since you have Nexus 7000 support contracts assigned to your CCO but you cannot download it.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Same here. Struggling to get Essentials downloaded. Privileges requires keeps popping up too even after logging into my instructor account.

jonjorda
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does the following link work for you?

https://buildprice.cisco.com/N1000V/home

Nope.  That just takes you in a loop. Answer a few questions, button takes you to the usual CCO download page, then you get "additional entitlement required".  Ergo, this doesn't look quite as free as one would think.  At the very least, this page isn't being maintained well.

da12ask01
Level 1
Level 1

If anyone at Cisco is monitoring these threads, could this link either get taken down or fixed?  https://buildprice.cisco.com/N1000V/gettingstarted

I've been at this for awhile, and still cannot divine a way to download the Essential Edition for free, as the site claims.  Any attempt at support has just gotten laughably bad, with zero progress toward resolution.  I ask for the free link to be fixed, I am then told to provide a support contract or a serial number for a covered device "for this download".  Besides the obvious logical fallacy that goes unnoticed, this is just improper to advertise this, then not allow it.

The main reason you are seeing issues going to this site is now this site requires a contract to get to.  If you don't have a valid contract you will not be able to access the file and it will give you the 500 error.

I tested this just now with a test user account I get the 500 error, if I login with my TAC account I can get to the file fine so the issue with it not working is due to not having a valid contract to allow you access to the files/page it redirects you to.

Thanks

This is where we are going in circles.  How does "free" equate to requiring a valid service contract?  If it requires a service contract, then it is not, by definition, free.

.....and it does not give me a "500 error".  It shows up just fine, with a note indicating "Additional entitlement required".  I.e. a service contract.

From the website I referenced in this thread, this requirement is not indicated.

I'll check into it more to see whats happening here but I know it now requires this not sure when/why this was changed yet.

In the meantime if you need this file let me know and I can special file publish it to you while we figure out what changed here.

Thanks

That would be great.

Regards,

Oscar Nash

Sent to the email/CCO associated with your communities account.  Check and let me know if you didn't get the email with the download instructions.

Thanks

Our school does have an active support contract with Cisco TAC for the campus. They do have things as large as a Nexus 7000 series and some older 4500 catalysts. I spoke with one of our IT and he too says that when he tries to download it he is prompted for elevated privileges still. Does the contract have to include the 1000v or is it a general TAC contract that is required to use the Essentials edition?

It sounds like from more investigation you would need the nexus 1000v support contract to download this, based on what you are telling me that appears to hold true since you have Nexus 7000 support contracts assigned to your CCO but you cannot download it.

Well I appreciate your help, and getting the file posted, I'm really done with this topic. I opened the TAC case well over a month ago and I've been waiting for an update.   In the meantime, the project I was hoping to use this for moved on with something else.  The only reason I reposted the thread was I got a notification from Cisco that the ticket I opened a long time ago had just been reassigned.

Net-net: Requiring a support contract != free.  While I get the logic, and if that is indeed the case, its real easy to add that in the description vs going through these hoops. 

But, like I said, thanks anyway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: