cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to connect VXLAN fabric to legacy network

dukenuk96
Level 3
Level 3

Let's assume that I have fully working VXLAN fabric based on n9k switches and legacy network based on another switches. What are best practices of interconnecting them if I need only L3 connectivity between VXLAN and legacy networks? For simplicity let's take into consideration that legacy network supports BGP. One thing I am afraid about is how to prevent EVPN-generated host routes (/32 or /128) to leak to legacy network.

Config guide says that I should filter such routes based on prefix lengts https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/92x/vxlan-92x/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-series-nx-os-vxlan-configuration-guide-92x/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_VXLAN_Configuration_Guide_9x_chapter_0101.html#id_9...

But what if there are some /32 routes which are not generated by EVPN, but by some others things/redistributed from somewhere.

Maybe there are some other pitfalls which I do not know yet?

1 Reply 1

melchib
Level 1
Level 1

Those other host routes you need advertised - either permit them via prefix-list in route-map ahead of overall /32 deny, or add something like aggregate-address 10.x.x.x/24 summary-only that those host routes are a part of.  Lots of options to handle this with BGP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: