cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Configuration between two pairs of Stack Wise Virtual Switches (C9500-32c)

Hi,

I have a below scenario for which I want to configure HSRP between two pairs of Stack Wise Virtual switches. Will this work?

1. There are four C9500 catalyst aggregation switches. Two in each DC. DC's are Layer 2 Stretched.

2. One StackWise virtual switch is configured in each DC. Both the Stack Wise virtual switches are connected to each other using MEC.

Can we configure HSRP Active/Standby between two Stack Wise Virtual switches for the servers present in the DC's?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

For Point 1, its not that critical to have no down time.

From your response it seems the solution is fine with default HSRP settings.

Thank you for the response.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hey,

yes of course this works.

The two SWVs are each one logical switch/router.

If there are VLANs stretched between them two, you can just configure HSRP as usual

Best regards
Julian

Thank you Julian for your response. Do you see if there is a need to tweak the HSRP timers?. When SV Active switch goes down the SV Standby switch will become active in the same DC and the HSRP role will not be shifted to the other DC.

Thanks and Regards,

Venkat Kumar N

Hi!

1) Tweaking Timers: That really depends on the whole setup. But since you already have SWV on both sides, I'd say we have pretty good HA already and by default I wouldn't feel the need to tweak the timers.
But let's picture a scenario where both chassis of the current HSRP active SWV go down.
In that scenario how critical is it for you that we have almost no downtime?

2) If active Switch of a SWV goes down, the Standby Switch takes over - yes.
That is perfectly fine this way, that is why we have the SWV, only if both chassis of the current HSRP active SWV go down, the other SWV avtive switch would need to take over.

Let me know what you think.

Julian

Hi,

For Point 1, its not that critical to have no down time.

From your response it seems the solution is fine with default HSRP settings.

Thank you for the response.

Once you have enabled SWV then HSRP is not supported

purubrain18
Level 1
Level 1

is HSRP support on Stackwise virtual switches. i have enabled the stackwise virtual after that in vlans i don't see hsrp option at all. do we need to enable anything 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: