cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Just to confirm a few things....

nashwj
Level 1
Level 1

Have several implementations of the 1Kv coming up and want to make sure I'm covered.  Most of the sites we see are connecting the ESX servers to legacy (non-vPC supporting) switches utilizing multiple uplinks.  So...  Let's say we have an ESX server with 4 NICs total...2 NICs connected to one switch, 2 NICs to another.  No VSS..no vPC.  They are Cisco switches supporting CDP. 

1.  Configure the uplink so that all needed VLANs can be trunked.

2.  Make sure the control, packet, and management VLANs are set as system VLANs.

3.  Enable channel-group auto for CDP.

4.  On each switch put the two physical ports connected to the ESX server in a channel-group.

I see now that it's recommended to enable MAC-pinning on the 1Kv uplink.  That still hold?  If I do that do I need to make channel-groups on the uplink physical switches?

1 Reply 1

nenduri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the uplink ports of the VEM are connected to two different upstream switches, use vPC-HM configuration with "mac-pinning" option as below in your uplink port profile.

channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning

Do not configure any port channel on the upstream switch for mac-pinning.

If the ports are connected single switch or clustered switch (VSS, VPC) you don't need vPC-HM configuration on N1K.

thanks,

Naren

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: