Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 gateway for a VPC VLAN on a separate device

Ashley Hare
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have a query around a supported VPC design using Nexus 77xx. I've struggled to find any documentation specific to this particular scenario.

I have a client who has a requirement to create a DMZ network (layer 2 separation) through a Nexus 7700 pair, with layer 3 routing carried out using a separate firewall appliance. 

A host on one of these VLANs requires resilient connectivity, using bundled links with LACP. The intention would be to cross-patch these links across separate FEX, with separate parent chassis using VPC.

Connectivity to the upstream firewall (active/standby) would be via a layer 2 port-channels (non-VPC) directly between the core switches and the firewall appliances. These port-channels would trunk the VLAN of the DMZ network, as well as other (transit) networks where the devices peer using EIGRP. The transit/peering VLANs for all other traffic are non-VPC.

Layer 3 routing for the DMZ network would be carried out by these firewalls to allow segregation, with no layer 3 configuration present on the Nexus core switches.

The VLAN would be trunked across the VPC port-channel between the two Nexus core switches.

I've thrown together the below diagram to try and show the intended setup.

vpc-setup.PNG

Is this a supported design?

Are there any considerations regarding failover for this solution?

I hope the above description and diagram is reasonably clear, but please let me know if you need further information.

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not see any issue in terms of design, Layer 2 handover to FW, FW configured correctly with HA with Floated IP, you should be good..

why do you think you have an issue here?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi there,

I don't believe there's an issue, I'm just looking for reassurance in the absence of any validated designs.

Thanks for your feedback.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: