cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Marking VMware and N1kv specific traffic

dontalbot
Level 1
Level 1

What are the identifying charastics of N1kv/VMware specific traffic so I can build ACL's to mark this traffic? 

The N1kv has built in protocol matching abilities for the following traffic types:  n1k_control,  n1k_mgmt,  n1k_packet,  vmw_ft, vmw_iscsi, vmw_mgmt, vmw_nfs, vmw_vmotion, but the protocol matching seems to only be usable in a queueing class-map, not in a classification and marking class-map.

In my data center, traffic between ESXi hosts traverse a 6509 (sup720-3c) switch.  I want to mark the traffic in the N1kv (we always mark traffic at ingress point everywhere) so that QoS policies in the 6509 will handle the traffic appropriately.  Even if I use the protocol identification ability of the N1kv to only queue that traffic, I'd need ACL's in the 6509 to identify the traffic to queue it enroute to the destination.

2 Replies 2

hleschin
Level 1
Level 1

We do the marking for vmotion also as earliest as possible.  We do it in this way:

1. Creating a Policy-Map

policy-map type qos VMotion-Marking
       class class-default
           set dscp ...  (you can also use cos or cos-groups)
  2. Binding this Policy-Map to the Vmotion-Kernel Profile(s)

port-profile type vethernet Vmotion
        service-policy type qos input VMotion-Marking

Then you can use this marking for QoS policies already for the host uplinks or in your data center network. At the same way it's possbile to mark other traffic categories.

Thank you for your response.  I already know the process to build class maps to identify traffic and service policies to mark that traffic. 

What I don't know is, and why my post asked, is what details do I need in my ACL's to identify each of the traffic functions that are built in the N1kv for queuing the functions listed in my first post: VMware VKernal, VMware Vmotion, VMware FT, N1kv Control, N1kv Packet, N1kv Mgmt, FC/FCoE traffic functions?

It is a shame that Cisco has that knowledge built in the N1kv for identifying these traffic functions for scheduling purposes but doesn’t not give us access to the same knowledge for marking the traffic.