cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v ( Mixture of Advance and Essential License in the same cluster )

rgogia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Team,

I need help with the question below..

I have a customer who is looking to deploy a mixture of Nexus 1000v Essential Edition (Free), Nexus 1000v Advanced Edition (chargeable and including VSG) and ASA 1000v (requires N1K Advanced Edition I believe). They have a cluster of 5 ESX servers in their London DC but only want to run N1K/VSG/ASA1K on 2 out of the 5 hosts.  I know that N1Kv Adv and ASA1Kv are licensed on the number of protected CPU sockets but can they purchase just 4 licenses (2 x 2-socket servers) and use affinity rules within vCenter to ensure that the appropriate VM’s remain on only those 2 hosts and then just use the free N1k Essential Edition on the remaining 3 servers in the cluster?  Or would they need to purchase for all CPU sockets in a cluster (and perhaps split the 5-node cluster into a cluster of 2 and a cluster of 3)?

Rajesh

1 Reply 1

darren.frowen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have exactly the same question, we want to be able to only license two out of the 6 hosts in the cluster for VSG, what is the stance from Cisco on this is it possible?

Regards

Darren

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: