Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v - vCenter database move

Kassim Ismail
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Is there any guidance on moving a vCenter sql database from one server to another with Nexus1000v installed? I have found a VMware KB (

kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893) on moving the sql database from one server to another but i cannot find anything so far that looks from a Nexus 1000v angle.

Dont know if i am reading too much into this or should the above KB suffice? Has anyone done such a move?

Thanks

Kassim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Kassim,

I have been speaking with a colleague who has gone through this procedure in the past.

As we expected, there isn't too much to do on the Nexus 1000v side, seeing that it will continue to point to the same vCenter (as you are not migrating or changing any details of your VC). You are simply migrating the backend vCenter database.

However, in saying that, it would be best to gracefully shutdown the SVS connection to the VC. Seeing that the VC will temporarily not have access to it's database, we do not want the VSM to attempt to push any changes to the VC. Hence why we bring down the SVS connection in a graceful manner, instead of having VC throw an exception back to the Nexus 1000v. So by disconnecting the SVS connection, this will halt all adds/moves/changes during the period that you perform the DB move (following VMware's documented procedure). After the DB has been relocated and you have reconnected it to VC, you can then re-establish the SVS connection on the Nexus 1000v.

If during this time, you do experience any issues, I suggest to open a TAC case so that an engineer can work live with you during your maintenance window over a WebEx. If necessary, you can make reference this forum thread.

Thanks for your patience with this issues. Hope that helps to clarify things for you.

Regards,

Michael

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

mipetrin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kassim,

Have a look at this KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1020893

Additionally, this is discussed via this support forum:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2119884?tstart=0

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the links.

They are looking at reinstall of vCenter which i am not doing. i am keeping the same vCenter server/name/ip etc, but our vCenter database currently resides on a sql cluster which i want to move.

would it still be the same process?

Kassim

Hi Kassim,

If you are retaining the same vCenter server/name/IP/etc, I don't believe there are any special considerations from the Nexus 1000v side. However, I'm checking with some people internally to verify if this is the case.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Any news/update on this?

Thanks

Kassim

Hi Kassim,

I haven't forgotten about this thread. Just a little quiet in getting a response for your question due to the christmas break and all.

I've reached out to some more people today so I hope to get a response for you soon.

Thanks again for your patience.

Regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael, i will wait for your reply.

Kassim

Couple of quick questions.

What version of SQL Server?

I'm assuming this is not the express version included with vCenter.

Is the current SQL server on the same host as vCenter or a different host?

louis

Hi Louis,

The SQL server version is 2005.

No we are not using the express version, its the full version.

The current SQL server is on a different host.

Thanks

Kassim

Hi Kassim,

I have been speaking with a colleague who has gone through this procedure in the past.

As we expected, there isn't too much to do on the Nexus 1000v side, seeing that it will continue to point to the same vCenter (as you are not migrating or changing any details of your VC). You are simply migrating the backend vCenter database.

However, in saying that, it would be best to gracefully shutdown the SVS connection to the VC. Seeing that the VC will temporarily not have access to it's database, we do not want the VSM to attempt to push any changes to the VC. Hence why we bring down the SVS connection in a graceful manner, instead of having VC throw an exception back to the Nexus 1000v. So by disconnecting the SVS connection, this will halt all adds/moves/changes during the period that you perform the DB move (following VMware's documented procedure). After the DB has been relocated and you have reconnected it to VC, you can then re-establish the SVS connection on the Nexus 1000v.

If during this time, you do experience any issues, I suggest to open a TAC case so that an engineer can work live with you during your maintenance window over a WebEx. If necessary, you can make reference this forum thread.

Thanks for your patience with this issues. Hope that helps to clarify things for you.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks very much for looking into this, its much appreciated. I will now proceed with our vcenter database move.

Thanks once again.

Kassim

Hi Kassim,

You had any issues with the move?

Thanks,

Raj

Hi Michael,

I am planning to move a vCenter 5.x with Nexus 1000v , from a  physical server to a Virtual machine? I will keep the same ip and name. Do you have any kb articles or steps for that, really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Raj

Hi Raj,

on the whole the move went fine, though we had issues with some of the performance charts info not displaying in vCenter. i also had to make a change to the vcdb.properties file to point to the new sql database server

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=7960893

Kassim

Hi Raj,

on the whole the move went fine, though we had issues with some of the performance charts info not displaying in vCenter. i also had to make a change to the vcdb.properties file to point to the new sql database server

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=7960893

Kassim