Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 3500 Output of "show environment temperature"

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,

could someone provide some insight on the output of "show environment temperature" on Nexus 3500?

I wonder what the difference between "Control Temperature" and "Monitor Temperature" is, and why the thresholds for those are different.
Also, should there be actions taken when only one of them is above the Minor Threshold and the Status is still "ok"?

See the following output:

nexus# show environment temperature

Control Temperature
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Module Sensor MajorThresh MinorThres CurTemp  Status
              (Celsius)  (Celsius)  (Celsius)
1      ASIC     92          85         57       Ok
1      INTAKE   45          31         36       Ok

Monitor Temperature
Module Sensor MajorThresh MinorThres CurTemp    Status
               (Celsius) (Celsius)   (Celsius)
1      ASIC      110        90          57        Ok
1      INTAKE    70         40          36        Ok
nexus#

Is there a reason to worry? (See Intake Temperature of Control Temperature)

Thanks a lot and best regards
Juls

4 Replies 4

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

No idea? :/

yangzho2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi

I think you should just focus on the status. it is ok even the current temperature is higher than the control temperature.

besides device use control temperature to control the speed of fans. if current temperature goes above to the threshold. the fan will escalate speed in some algorithm according to the difference

Hi all,

I have the same issue butthe Control temperature intake is hitting the threshold but the Monitor intake threshold is higher. refer to the attached photo.

What is the difference?

Hi Guys,

I think the answer of @yangzho2 solves this question, however, I'd like to complement it, based on my experience.

First of all, the current temperature is the same for Control and Monitor, which means that we have just two sensors here (ASIC and INTAKE). The differences between Control and Monitor are the thresholds.

On the one hand, CONTROL temperature thresholds are used by the OS to 'control' the speed of the fans, so, reaching these thresholds is normal (at least the warning ones). On the other hand, MONITOR thresholds should be used for 'monitoring', that's why these thresholds are higher than the CONTROL ones.

You can check the behavior of your switches using the commands 'show environment temperature' and 'show environment fan detail', in the attached image you can see:

1. In the top, the current temperature (55) is lower than the Control MinorThres (91), so the fans' speed is 35% and 70% for fans and Power Supplies respectively.

2. In the bottom, the current temperature (91) reached the Control MinorThres, so the fans' speed was increased by the OS to 70% and 75%, BUT as the Monitor thresholds are not overpassed, Monitor status is still OK.

Cheers, Jairo

Cheers,
Jairo
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: