cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 3548 OS upgrade issue

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

I have upgraded my OS from 6.0(2)A8(4a) Kickstart and System both to 6.0(2)A8(9) then I copied

7.0(3)I7(4) OS and run install all nxos command to upgrade but the error shows up as incompatibility.

Could anyone tell what will be the upgrade path to

6.0(2)A8(9) to 7.0(3)I7(4) 

12 Replies 12

Vinutha Rao
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The upgrade path you mentioned is supported. 

Can you please provide the output of the install all cmd when it gave an error? 

In my lab, I tried the path - A8.4a -> A8.9 -> 7.0(3)I7(4) and upgrade does not give an error.

MTC-CR# install all nxos bootflash:nxos.7.0.3.I7.4.bin

Installer is forced disruptive

Verifying image bootflash:/nxos.7.0.3.I7.4.bin for boot variable "nxos".

[########################################] 100% -- SUCCESS

Verifying image type.

Extracting "nxos" version from image bootflash:/nxos.7.0.3.I7.4.bin.

Extracting "bios" version from image bootflash:/nxos.7.0.3.I7.4.bin.

Performing runtime checks.

Performing module support checks.

Notifying services about system upgrade.

[#                                       ]   2%2018 Jul 30 09:37:40.088 MTC-CR %VSHD-5-VSHD_SYSLOG_CONFIG_I: Configured from vty by admin on vsh.4811

Compatibility check is done:

Module  bootable          Impact  Install-type  Reason

------  --------  --------------  ------------  ------

1       yes      disruptive         reset  Unsupported in new image, module needs to be powered off

Images will be upgraded according to following table:

Module             Image         Running-Version             New-Version  Upg-Required

------  ----------------  ----------------------  ----------------------  ------------

1         kickstart             6.0(2)A8(9)             7.0(3)I7(4)           yes

1              bios      v2.0.6(12/26/2014)      v4.2.0(09/23/2017)           yes

1         power-seq                    v2.1                    v2.1            no

Switch will be reloaded for disruptive upgrade.

Do you want to continue with the installation (y/n)?  [n]

This is the output of error

Nexus-3548# install all nxos bootflash:nxos.7.0.3.I7.4.bin
Installer is forced disruptive

Verifying image bootflash:/nxos.7.0.3.I7.4.bin for boot variable "nxos".
[#                                       ]   2% -- FAIL. Return code 0x40930084 (Upgrade cannot be continued with non-compact image!. Please use scp compacting for a compact image and retry ISSU.).
Pre-upgrade check failed. Return code 0x40930011 (Image verification failed).

Hi,

This error is expected because the image needs to be of type compact. Please copy the image I7.4.bin again to the switch using the keyword 'compact' and try the upgrade again. 

Eg: 

MTC-CR# copy scp://<user>@<scp-server>/path-to-image/nxos.7.0.3.I7.4.bin bootflash: compact vrf management

Thanks,

Vinutha

Thanks Vinutha,

What will be the SCP-server address. I never used upgrade link like this. Can you put actual syntax with any dummy username. That will be really helpful please.

Hi Adnan,

Can you please let me know how you copied the image to the switch the first time? 

You can use tftp too, instead of scp, or any other option for remote copy, but make sure you copy from the switch itself and use compact keyword, as mentioned in the below eg. 

Dummy example: copy scp://user@1.1.1.1/path/image.bin bootflash: compact vrf management 

I copied it through USB1:

copy usb1:image.bin bootflash:

This SCP method will download image from Cisco website?

Compact option cannot be used for local copies, so from usb its not possible.

You will have to download the image to a tftp/scp supported server and then copy the same from the switch console using the compact option.

Please refer the below guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus3000/sw/upgrade/7_x/b_Cisco_Nexus_3500_Series_NX-OS_Software_Upgrade_and_Downgrade_Guide_Release_7x/b_Cisco_Nexus_3500_Series_NX-OS_Software_Upgrade_and_Downgrade_Guide_Release_7x_chapter...

Thanks, I will check and update here.

Copying using SCP any tftpserver can be used or different software is required? Also image should be downloaded on a SCP / TFTP Server right. It will not directly download from website and upgrade.

Yes, image needs to be downloaded to a tftp/scp server and then should be copied from the switch. You can use copy tftp:// option if the server is a tftp server. Option 'compact' is supported for tftp as well.

Great and Thank you very much for your assistance. I will update once check ths solution.

Great and Thank you very much for your assistance. I will update once check the solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: