Announcements

Community Helping Community

Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

nexus 7710 vdc vs vrf

Hi,

I have to make a choice between using separate VDCs vs one VDC with 2 VRFs on a Nexus 7710 M3 card platform. (VPC Pair of 7710s version 8.4)

Due to the ASICs on the 48 port 1/10gb cards, they can only be split into 24 port sections for VDC. (so 24 ports in 1 vdc and 24 in the other).  In one VDC/VRF I only need 10 ports.  I don't have enough ports/cards to split 2 cards so I can only split one card.

So I either have to do:

1. use separate VDCs.  For VDC1 - Only use one card on each chassis to connect to other devices using VPC.  2 ports on each chassis would be used but they would be on the same card (ex, VPC - card 7 ports 1,2,3,4 on both chassis)

if it matters, VDC1 would use BGP and OSPF. VDC2 would use EIGRP.

2. use one VDC and separate into two VRFs.  Can use two ports on two cards on each chassis to connect to other devices using VPC. (ex, VPC - card 6 ports 1 and 2 and card 7 ports 1 and 2 on each chassis). This has dual redundancy for cards but loses the VDC separation.  

I don't need management separation. The same people would manage both.  I don't need to reuse vlans or port channels. I could easily do this with VRFs.

Does the separation that VDC provides outweigh the lack of multiple card redundancy that using VRF only would allow.

thanks

Everyone's tags (2)
CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
FusionCharts will render here